These days, as many people constantly carry their smartphone with them, it has become the norm rather than the exception to constantly be reachable. Even on vacation, many people have trouble leaving their smartphone at home and truly disconnecting for a couple of days.
However, the need to be reachable at any time and at any place isn’t equally strong around the world. While the large majority of people in Russia and China consider it important to be reachable nonstop, internet users in Germany, Japan and Canada still feel the need to disconnect every now and then. The United States ranks somewhere in between as the chart below, based on data published by GfK, illustrates.
- Smartphone usage in China in 2011, by activitySmartphone usage in China in 2011, by activity
- Smartphone usage among children and teenagers in Germany 2014, by age groupSmartphone usage among children and teenagers in Germany 2014, by age group
- U.S. Millennials' smartphone usage share for in-store grocery shopping by type 2012U.S. Millennials' smartphone usage share for in-store grocery shopping by type 2012
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Media reach in the U.S. 2016Media reach in the U.S. 2016
- Smartphone users worldwide 2014-2020Smartphone users worldwide 2014-2020
- Forecast of the smartphone user penetration rate in the UK 2014-2021Forecast of the smartphone user penetration rate in the UK 2014-2021
- Share of mobile internet users in Germany 2014, by household incomeShare of mobile internet users in Germany 2014, by household income
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl