Twitter's User Growth Is Tapering Off Alarmingly Quickly
Twitter's user growth is tapering off alarmingly quickly. With an active user base of now 255 million monthly active users, the apparent deceleration of Twitter’s growth suggests that the service will have a very hard time coming close to Facebook’s user base, let alone matching it. When Facebook's growth rate first dropped to the level where Twitter's currently is (25%), Facebook already had 800 million users. When Mark Zuckerberg was asked why his company had acquired WhatsApp for $19 billion, he replied that services whith the potential to reach a billion users are hard to come by. It seems like Twitter isn't one of them.
- Number of unique U.S. visitors to Twitter from April 2011 to July 2014 (in millions)
Unique U.S. visitors to Twitter as of July 2014
- Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of June 2014 (in millions)
Twitter accounts with the most followers worldwide as of June 2014
- Number of Twitter employees between January 2008 and November 2013
Twitter: number of employees 2008-2013
- Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013Share of U.S. internet users who use selected social networks 2012-2013
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014Global social networks ranked by number of users 2014
- Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014Social networks: multi-platform visitors in the United States 2014
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", , which inlcudes current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Felix Richter