Global PC Industry Continues Downward Trend
The global PC industry did not finish 2013 on a positive note. PC shipments declined 6.9 percent in the holiday quarter, ending a horrible year for the industry. As developed markets show strong signs of saturation and consumers in developing countries prefer lower cost alternatives such as tablets or smartphones PC sales suffered the biggest year-over-year decline (-10%) since Gartner started tracking the PC industry in the late 1980s. In the past 12 months, 316 million PCs were shipped globally, signifiyng the lowest level since 2009. Gartner belives that the industry has bottomed out and expects no further decline in 2014. Given the lack of innovation in the PC industry and the increasing competitiveness of tablets in terms of performance, we wouldn't bet on the PC industry though.
- Market saturation of selected countries in the retail sector 2015Market saturation of selected countries in the retail sector 2015
- Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016
- Internet usage via tablet PC in Germany 2013-2015Internet usage via tablet PC in Germany 2013-2015
- Global IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segmentGlobal IT spending forecast 2012-2020, by segment
- Weekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by ageWeekly time spent with media per user in the U.S. 2016, by age
- IT spending forecast worldwide 2014-2019IT spending forecast worldwide 2014-2019
- PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2020PCs (desktop/portable) global shipment forecast 2009-2020
- Devices with access to the internet at home in the Netherlands 2012-2015Devices with access to the internet at home in the Netherlands 2012-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens