Dark Social Dominates Online Sharing
Dark Social refers to web traffic coming from outside sources that cannot be tracked by analytics software. The term was coined back in 2012 and it happens when someone shares content or a link though communications formats such as emails, forum posts or instant messages. Even though advertisers primarily focus their efforts on activities occurring in “the light” on platforms like Facebook and Twitter, Dark Social actually dominates online sharing, accounting for 69 percent of all shares globally. Europe and the UK in particular have become Dark Social strongholds, with 77 and 75 percent of all shares respectively occurring in the dark. In North America, that number is less at 59 percent but still considerable.
- Share of mobile dark social sharing in Europe 2016, by advertiser categoryShare of mobile dark social sharing in Europe 2016, by advertiser category
- Share of mobile dark social sharing in the UK 2016, by advertiser categoryShare of mobile dark social sharing in the UK 2016, by advertiser category
- Distribution of social sharing on social media in China 2012Distribution of social sharing on social media in China 2012
- Instagram: distribution of U.S. users 2016, by ageInstagram: distribution of U.S. users 2016, by age
- Snap worldwide annual revenue forecast 2015-2027Snap worldwide annual revenue forecast 2015-2027
- Number of monthly active Instagram users 2013-2016Number of monthly active Instagram users 2013-2016
- U.S. market share of leading social media websites 2016U.S. market share of leading social media websites 2016
- Preferred social networks of U.S. teens 2012-2016Preferred social networks of U.S. teens 2012-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl