Apple's App Store Is Growing by 1,000+ Apps a Day
When Apple opened the App Store in 2008, not even the keenest optimists could have imagined the impact it would have. Within a few years, apps fundamentally changed the way people interact with their phones and really put the smart in smartphones. Nowadays, whatever task you throw at your phone, you can bet that there’s an app for it.
Back in 2008, Apple opening up to developers was a huge deal. The company and its ingenious co-founder Steve Jobs had previously been firm believers of closed systems and even though people soon criticized Apple’s walled garden approach with respect to its strict app approval guidelines, developers jumped at the chance to build software for the iPhone.
Today, Apple device users can choose from more than 1.5 million applications and the number of available apps is growing faster than ever. According to data compiled by Pocketgamer.biz, developers are currently submitting more than 1,000 apps per day. In May, a record number of 39,992 apps were submitted for approval by Apple, indicating that developers aren’t running out of ideas of how to make our devices even smarter.
- Number of available apps in the Apple App Store 2008-2017Number of available apps in the Apple App Store 2008-2017
- Apple App Store: global category revenue share per business model 2014Apple App Store: global category revenue share per business model 2014
- Leading Apple App Store categories 2015-2016, by download volumeLeading Apple App Store categories 2015-2016, by download volume
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl