App stores - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about app stores
An app store or app marketplace is a type of digital distribution platform for mobile and desktop apps. The number of mobile app downloads is expected to increase in 2017. Nearly 270 billion apps are expected to be downloaded in 2017; up from an estimate of 224.8 billion app downloads in 2016. Apps are usually run in specific devices and written for a specific operating system. Considering Android and Apple’s iOS are the two leading operating system for mobiles, it is no surprise that the two largest global platforms for app distribution are Apple's App Store and Google Play, the official app store for the Android OS. Between the two apps stores, about 35.7 billion apps were downloaded in the first half of 2016 alone.
In terms of content volume, Google Play is the largest app store. The number of apps available on Google Play has been constantly increasing since the release of the platform in 2008, jumping from 16 thousand in the end of 2009 to one million apps available in mid-2013. In 2016, there were 2.6 million apps available on the store. About 70 percent of the apps available on Google Play Store are free. Nonetheless, Google's digital content and app platform generates billion of dollars in revenue each year from sales of apps and games. In 2017, Google Play’s revenue is forecast to add up to nearly 10 billion U.S. dollars.
Apple's App Store is the second largest app store. As of January 2017, the store had 2.2 million mobile apps available for download, up from 800 thousand in January 2013. The Apple had one million native apps designed for the iPad on its App Store as of March 2016. Games are by far the most popular category on Apple's App Store, accounting for about a quarter of all apps available on the platform. Business, education, lifestyle and entertainment are also popular categories in terms of availability of apps. In late 2016, Apple announced that 140 billion apps had been downloaded from its App Store.
Other prominent app stores include Windows Store, Amazon Appstore, and Blackberry World. First released to the consumer market in 2012, Windows Store had about 669 thousand apps available as of June 2016. Amazon Appstore, available for both Android and BlackBerry 10 operating system, was launched in 2011 and has been constantly growing since. The number of available apps in the Amazon Appstore increased from just fewer than four thousand in March 2011 to 600 thousand in April 2016.
Picture: istockphoto.com / mbortolino
|Google Play Store||Values||Statistic|
|Number of available apps in the Google Play Store as of March 2017||2,800,000||Details →|
|Cumulative number of apps downloaded from Google Play Store as of May 2016||65bn||Details →|
|Most-downloaded app category in the Google Play Store as of Q4 2016||Games||Details →|
|U.S. customer satisfaction with Google Play as of 2016||79 ACSI index points||Details →|
- Total global mobile app store revenues 2015-2020Total global mobile app store revenues 2015-2020
Worldwide mobile app store revenues in 2015, 2016 and 2020 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Apple App Store: number of downloads as of September 2016Apple App Store: number of downloads as of September 2016
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Apple App Store from July 2008 to September 2016 (in billions)
- Apple: most popular app store categories 2017Apple: most popular app store categories 2017
Most popular Apple App Store categories in March 2017, by share of available apps
- Number of apps available in leading app stores 2017+Number of apps available in leading app stores 2017
Number of apps available in leading app stores as of March 2017
- Google Play: number of Android app downloads 2010-2016Google Play: number of Android app downloads 2010-2016
Cumulative number of apps downloaded from the Google Play as of May 2016 (in billions)
- Amazon Appstore: number of available apps 2011-2016Amazon Appstore: number of available apps 2011-2016
Number of available apps in the Amazon Appstore from March 2011 to April 2016
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016Google: global annual revenue 2002-2016
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020Mobile ad spend worldwide 2015-2020
- Passenger experience at airports worldwide 2016Passenger experience at airports worldwide 2016