Music Streaming Revenues Surpass Physical Format Sales
The days of physical music distribution are slowly coming to an end. According to RIAA mid-year statistics, music downloads and streaming services accounted for more than 70 percent of music industry revenues in the United States in the first half of 2015. Physical formats, e.g. CDs and LPs now account for less than 1 in 4 dollars earned by the U.S. recording industry.
However, it seems that music lovers haven't just moved on from physical formats but also from the general idea of "owning" music. Revenues from permanent downloads declined by 4 percent while streaming revenues soared by 23 percent. It appears as if downloads were only a transitional technology, needed as long as mobile networks weren't fast enough and mobile data plans not big enough to support streaming. Now that many consumers can stream music wherever and whenever they want, they no longer feel the need to buy their favorite music. As Matt Rosoff from Business Insider accurately put it: streaming is no longer the future of the music industry. It's the present.
- Retail value of music shipments in the U.S. from 1999 to 2016Retail value of music shipments in the U.S. from 1999 to 2016
- Market share of the largest music publishers worldwide from 2007 to 2016Market share of the largest music publishers worldwide from 2007 to 2016
- Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020Streaming music subscribers worldwide 2010-2020
- Entertainment retail sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2016Entertainment retail sales revenue in the United Kingdom (UK) 2005-2016
- Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015Recorded music market revenue worldwide 2005-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl