TV Remains the World's Number 1 News Source
Despite the rise of websites and search engines as alternatives to „classic“ news sources such as television, newspapers and the radio, the TV is still the news source most people around the globe rely on. That’s the result of a global survey of more than 30,000 online consumers across 60 countries conducted by Nielsen.
When asked where they get the news, 53 percent of the global respondents named the television as one of their go-to sources. Search engines and social media sites were the second and third most popular choices with newspapers relegated to fourth place.
Not surprisingly, news preferences vary across different generations. However, TV is the most popular choice for Millennials (21-34), Gen Xers (34-49), Baby Boomers (50-64) and the Silent Generation (65+) with Generation Z respondents (15-20 years old) the only ones favoring social media sites over TV for news consumption.
- Worldwide video news consumption 2016, by countryWorldwide video news consumption 2016, by country
- Source distribution of news consumption in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2015Source distribution of news consumption in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2015
- Mobile news consumption worldwide 2015, by deviceMobile news consumption worldwide 2015, by device
- Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2016Leading offline news brands in the U.S. 2016
- Leading online news brands in the U.S. 2016Leading online news brands in the U.S. 2016
- Social network usage for news access worldwide 2016Social network usage for news access worldwide 2016
- Italy: newspaper readership 2006-2015, by reading frequencyItaly: newspaper readership 2006-2015, by reading frequency
- Newspaper reach in the Netherlands during first half of 2015, by ageNewspaper reach in the Netherlands during first half of 2015, by age
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens