TV Remains the World's Number 1 News Source
Despite the rise of websites and search engines as alternatives to „classic“ news sources such as television, newspapers and the radio, the TV is still the news source most people around the globe rely on. That’s the result of a global survey of more than 30,000 online consumers across 60 countries conducted by Nielsen.
When asked where they get the news, 53 percent of the global respondents named the television as one of their go-to sources. Search engines and social media sites were the second and third most popular choices with newspapers relegated to fourth place.
Not surprisingly, news preferences vary across different generations. However, TV is the most popular choice for Millennials (21-34), Gen Xers (34-49), Baby Boomers (50-64) and the Silent Generation (65+) with Generation Z respondents (15-20 years old) the only ones favoring social media sites over TV for news consumption.
- Mobile news consumption worldwide 2015, by deviceMobile news consumption worldwide 2015, by device
- Worldwide video news consumption 2016, by countryWorldwide video news consumption 2016, by country
- Source distribution of news consumption in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2015Source distribution of news consumption in the United Kingdom (UK) 2013-2015
- Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017
- Confusion caused by made-up news in the U.S. 2016Confusion caused by made-up news in the U.S. 2016
- Ability to recognize fake news in the U.S. 2016Ability to recognize fake news in the U.S. 2016
- Fake news perception of accuracy in the U.S. 2016Fake news perception of accuracy in the U.S. 2016
- Fake news election stories in the U.S. 2016Fake news election stories in the U.S. 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl