The Rise of Music Streaming Continues
The rise of music streaming continues. As figures published in Nielsen's Mid-Year Music Report reveal, the number of audio-only music streams in the United States nearly doubled in the first half of 2016 compared to the previous year. Including music video streams, Americans streamed 209 billion songs from January through June, up from just 50 billion three years ago.
As expected, the rise in popularity of streaming comes at the expense of other market segments. CD album and digital album sales declined by 12 and 18 percent, respectively, while digital track sales plummeted by 24 percent. The only format besides streaming that is rising in popularity is vinyl. The preferred format of analog music lovers continued its comeback with a 12 percent increase in LP sales.
- Music streaming revenue worldwide 2010-2015, by typeMusic streaming revenue worldwide 2010-2015, by type
- Music streaming revenue worldwide 2015-2020Music streaming revenue worldwide 2015-2020
- Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015
- Global digital music revenue 2005-2015Global digital music revenue 2005-2015
- Digital share of global media revenue 2015, by mediumDigital share of global media revenue 2015, by medium
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015
- Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015Revenues from music sales in Germany 1998-2015
- Global music revenue 2015-2020, by sourceGlobal music revenue 2015-2020, by source
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens