Amazon's Relentless Focus on Long-Term Growth
If there is one thing that Amazon’s founder and CEO Jeff Bezos is famous for, it’s his relentless commitment on long-term growth. Having ignored critics for years, Bezos’ willingness to sacrifice short-term profits for long-term success appears to be bearing fruit.
Not only has Amazon cemented its position as the no.1 online retailer in countless markets, it has also built an industry-leading cloud computing business and established itself as a serious contender in the growing media streaming landscape.
The company has achieved all that by constantly re-investing most of its profits. In the past twelve months, Amazon made a net profit of $596 million. In 2004, it made $588 million. The difference being: in 2015, Amazon generated $107 billion in revenue, which is more than 15 times the amount it had made in 2004. Our chart below illustrates Amazon’s strategy by contrasting the company’s revenue and profit growth since 1997.
- Global net revenue of Amazon 2014-2016, by segmentGlobal net revenue of Amazon 2014-2016, by segment
- Number of Amazon Video subscribers in Western Europe 2015-2021Number of Amazon Video subscribers in Western Europe 2015-2021
- Most popular U.S. Amazon product categories 2016Most popular U.S. Amazon product categories 2016
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015Total and e-commerce U.S. retail trade sales 2000-2015
- Value of the leading retail brands worldwide 2017Value of the leading retail brands worldwide 2017
- The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017The 25 most valuable brands worldwide 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl