Amazon - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Amazon
Amazon.com is an international e-commerce company offering online retail, computing services, consumer electronics, digital content as well as other local services such as daily deals and groceries. According to recent industry figures, Amazon is the leading e-retailer in the United States with close to 136 billion U.S. dollars in 2016 net sales. The majority of the company’s revenues are generated through e-retail sales of electronics and other products, followed by third-party seller revenues, subscription services and AWS activities. As of the first quarter of 2016, the e-retailer reported more than 310 million active customer accounts worldwide. Due to Amazon’s global scope and reach, it is also considered one of the most valuable brands worldwide.
The online retailer does not only lead in terms of desktop retailing but has also taken to mobile commerce. Amazon Mobile is one of the most popular apps in the United States. The Amazon app via smartphone is also the second-most popular purchase channel of Amazon buyers in the United States.
Amazon also offers Amazon Prime, an annually paid membership offering free two-day shipping in the United States as well as discounted one-day shipping rates, which current users regard as the key reason for subscribing to the service. Amazon Prime has since opened to other countries and has also expanded to offer instant streaming of selected movies and television shows through Amazon Instant Video and music. The average annual Amazon shopping expenditure of Amazon Prime members was found to be 1,200 U.S. dollars on the online shopping platform every year, compared to 600 U.S. dollars spending of non-Prime members. The most popular product categories of Amazon Prime shoppers in the United States were electronics and physical books, followed by e-books and personal care products.
The company also offers its own line of personal electronics, most importantly the Kindle electronics range. Originally offered as a basic e-reader, the Kindle has strongly influenced e-book sales. The current Kindle Fire tablet range has transformed into a line of devices that also enable the consumption of media within the Amazon ecosystem. According to a survey of Prime households, Amazon Prime Video was the most popular value-added digital service, followed by music and e-book rentals. As of end-2014, Amazon has also made headway into smart electronics with its smart speaker called Amazon Echo, which in turn connects to the voice-controlled personal assistant service Alexa. Alexa's audience size ranks far behind iOS's Siri, Samsung's S Voice and Google - as of December 2016, Alexa had 2.6 million monthly unique users in the United States.
|Amazon Company Overview||Values||Statistic|
|Net sales of Amazon in 2016||136bn USD||Details →|
|Net income of Amazon in 2016||2.371bn USD||Details →|
|Number of Amzon.com employees as in 2016||341,400||Details →|
|Biggest revenue segment of Amazon in 2016||Retail products||Details →|
|Year-over-year revenue growth of Amazon as of 2016||27%||Details →|
|Amazon’s outbound shipping costs in 2016||16.2bn USD||Details →|
|Amazon’s fulfillment expenses in 2016||17.6bn USD||Details →|
|Amazon's brand value in 2016||98.99bn USD||Details →|
|Amazon's U.S. ad spend in 2016||2.2bn USD||Details →|
|Most popular online store in the United States in 2016||Amazon||Details →|
|Amazon’s brand value in 2016||98.99bn USD||Details →|
|Unique monthly U.S. visitors to Amazon sites as of December 2016||189m||Details →|
|Share of direct traffic to Amazon.com as of April 2017||41.47%||Details →|
- Amazon: annual revenue 2004-2016 Amazon: annual revenue 2004-2016
Net sales revenue of Amazon from 2004 to 2016 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Amazon: annual net income 2004-2016+Amazon: annual net income 2004-2016
Net income of Amazon.com from 2004 to 2016 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Amazon: quarterly net revenue 2007-2017Amazon: quarterly net revenue 2007-2017
Net revenue of Amazon from 1st quarter 2007 to 1st quarter 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Amazon: quarterly net income 2009-2017Amazon: quarterly net income 2009-2017
Amazon's net income from 1st quarter 2009 to 1st quarter 2017 (in million U.S. dollars)
- Amazon Appstore: number of available apps 2011-2016Amazon Appstore: number of available apps 2011-2016
Number of available apps in the Amazon Appstore from March 2011 to April 2016
- Global net revenue of Amazon 2014-2016, by segmentGlobal net revenue of Amazon 2014-2016, by segment
Global net revenue of Amazon.com from 2014 to 2016, by segment (in billion U.S. dollars)
- U.S. consumer usage of Amazon services and products 2017+U.S. consumer usage of Amazon services and products 2017
Which of the following Amazon services and products do you use at least occasionally?
- Sales of the leading 10 consumer electronics retailers of the U.S. 2015-2016Sales of the leading 10 consumer electronics retailers of the U.S. 2015-2016
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019Ad-selling companies worldwide: digital advertising market share 2016-2019
- Digital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by companyDigital display ad revenue in the U.S. 2016-2019, by company
- Ranking of the largest web shops in Sweden in 2017, by revenueRanking of the largest web shops in Sweden in 2017, by revenue