Voice-Controlled Wireless Speakers
What the Amazon Echo Is Actually Used For
Google is expected to announce several new products today, including a new line of smartphones, an intelligent router and a voice-controlled wireless speaker. The latter, reportedly called “Google Home” is aimed to become the voice-controlled center of the future smart home and will compete directly with Amazon’s popular Echo devices.
Considering that the market for wireless speakers with integrated virtual assistants is expected to grow five-fold within the next five years, it makes sense for Google to throw its hat in the ring now, before Amazon can build a significant lead.
But what are people actually using these things for? According to a recent survey conducted by Experian, early users of the Amazon Echo try many of the tasks the smart speakers can perform, but so far few of them stick. The chart below shows the six most popular tasks that Echo users have asked their speakers to carry out more than once. So far, these tasks are fairly basic in nature but as people get more accustomed to using voice-controlled devices at home, we can expect the use of Echo, Home and potential upcoming competitors to extend beyond playing music or turning on the light.
- Useful functions of the Amazon Echo 2017Useful functions of the Amazon Echo 2017
- Share of people who have heard of Amazon Echo in the U.S. 2017Share of people who have heard of Amazon Echo in the U.S. 2017
- Level of interest in the Amazon Echo in the U.S. 2017Level of interest in the Amazon Echo in the U.S. 2017
- Unique active enterprise virtual digital assistants worldwide 2015-2021Unique active enterprise virtual digital assistants worldwide 2015-2021
- Enterprise virtual digital assistant (VDA) market size worldwide 2015-2021Enterprise virtual digital assistant (VDA) market size worldwide 2015-2021
- Unique active virtual digital assistants worldwide 2015-2021Unique active virtual digital assistants worldwide 2015-2021
- Unique active consumer virtual digital assistants worldwide 2015-2021Unique active consumer virtual digital assistants worldwide 2015-2021
- Consumer virtual digital assistant market size worldwide 2015-2021Consumer virtual digital assistant market size worldwide 2015-2021
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl