The Top Sectors For U.S. Investment Dollars
The Internet is still the dominant U.S. sector for investment, although funding dropped 26 percent in the last quarter of 2016. Despite that fall, it still saw $4.6 billion of investment in Q4 2016 with notable deals including OpenDoor Labs ($210m), Buzzfeed ($200m) and Stripe ($150m), according to CB Insights and PwC.
Over the past 20 years, American Internet companies have attracted $187 billion in investment, the most of any business sector in the country. Healthcare comes second with $150.4 billion since the mid 90s while mobile and telecommunication rounds off the top three with just over $115 billion. At state level, it comes as little surprise California brought in huge levels of investment, fuelled by Silicon Valley's innovation. Over the past 20 years, California attracted $367.8 billion of investment, far ahead of second placed Massachusetts' $80 billion.
- Fintech investment areas worldwide 2008-2013Fintech investment areas worldwide 2008-2013
- Value of Fintech investment areas worldwide in 2014Value of Fintech investment areas worldwide in 2014
- Planned investment areas of insurance companies worldwide 2014Planned investment areas of insurance companies worldwide 2014
- Investment sectors in financial crime prevention in the UK in 2015 Investment sectors in financial crime prevention in the UK in 2015
- Perception of safety of various investments in the U.S. 2014, by generationPerception of safety of various investments in the U.S. 2014, by generation
- Most attractive sectors for investment for European investors in 2017Most attractive sectors for investment for European investors in 2017
- Value of foreign direct investments in China by sector 2016Value of foreign direct investments in China by sector 2016
- Size of luxury property one million dollars can buy worldwide 2015, by citySize of luxury property one million dollars can buy worldwide 2015, by city
- Share of household financial assets held in investment funds in U.S. 1995-2016Share of household financial assets held in investment funds in U.S. 1995-2016
- Net new cash flow to mutual funds in the U.S. 2000-2016, by fund typeNet new cash flow to mutual funds in the U.S. 2000-2016, by fund type
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl