Where U.S. Troops Are Based Around The World
The United States has the third largest number of active-duty troops (1.3 million) of any military worldwide, trailing China (2.2 million) and India (1.4 million). As well as substantially higher military spending, the U.S. military's unparalleled presence across the world also sets it apart from those nations. Earlier this year, it was reported that U.S. special forces alone deployed to 138 nations in 2016, an impressive 70 percent of the world.
The following infographic shows the global footprint of the U.S. military as a whole. Specifically, it shows countries with some form of U.S. military presence ranging from a single military attaché to the Marine Corps personnel providing security at American embassies. When every single country with some kind of U.S military presence is taken into account, nearly every country on the map has to be highlighted. According to the Defense Manpower Data Center, the Army, Marine Corps, Navy, Air Force and Coastguard have about 200,000 active-service members deployed to 170 countries worldwide.
Japan hosts the most U.S. troops with 39,000 in total while Germany comes second with 34,800. South Korea has the third-highest number of U.S. service members overseas with 23,468.
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl