Genetically Modified Crops - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on genetically modified crops
Genetically-modified crops, also known as GM crops, are plants used in agriculture which have been modified by using genetic engineering methods. The genetic modifications are done in order to create crop varieties with desirable traits, such as tolerance against herbicides and specific pests.
During the last decade, the acreage of GM crop production has more than doubled globally. In 2015, nearly 180 million hectares were planted with genetically-engineered crops worldwide. By country comparison, the United States had the highest acreage of GM crops. Genetically-engineered crops have become wildly popular in the United States since agrochemical company Monsanto has introduced their ‘Roundup Ready’ soybeans in the mid-nineties. Today, soybeans remain the GM crop accounting for the largest proportion of GM crop acreage worldwide. One of the main reported benefits of adopting genetically engineered crops is increased crop yields.
A recent survey shows that consumers in the United States have mixed feelings on the use of GM organisms in food production. The results illustrated that 26 percent of U.S. adults seek to purchase non-genetically modified foods, while the remaining 74 percent do not seek non-genetically modified foods. Another recent survey reveals that 48 percent of U.S. adults strongly agree (and a further 41 percent agree) that all products containing GM organisms should be labeled accordingly.
Picture: istockphoto.com / globares
|Share of GMO corn in the U.S., based on acreage||92%||Details →|
|Share of GMO cotton in the U.S., based on acreage||80%||Details →|
|Genetically modified soybeans seeded in Ontario||718.3k ha||Details →|
|Genetically modified corn for grain seeded in Ontario||679.9k ha||Details →|
|Genetically modified soybeans seeded in Quebec||210k ha||Details →|
|Genetically modified corn for grain seeded in Ontario||303k ha||Details →|
- Percentage of genetically modified crops in the U.S. by type 2016+Percentage of genetically modified crops in the U.S. by type 2016
Percentage of genetically modified crops in the U.S. in 1997 and 2016, by type (as percent of total acreage)
- Americans' views and opinions on GMO's 2013+Americans' views and opinions on GMO's 2013
Do you support the use of genetically modified organisms (GMO's) in food production?
- Acreage of genetically modified crops 2004-2015, by country+Acreage of genetically modified crops 2004-2015, by country
Acreage of genetically modified crops worldwide from 2004 to 2015, by leading country (in million hectares)
- U.S. acreage of genetically modified soybeans 2000-2013+U.S. acreage of genetically modified soybeans 2000-2013
Acreage of genetically modified (GM) soybeans in the United States from 2000 to 2013 (in million acres planted)
- U.S. unemployment rate: March 2017, seasonally adjustedU.S. unemployment rate: March 2017, seasonally adjusted
- Grain production worldwide 2016/17, by typeGrain production worldwide 2016/17, by type
- Distribution of gross domestic product (GDP) across economic sectors in China 2016Distribution of gross domestic product (GDP) across economic sectors in China 2016
- Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2014-2016Top U.S. states with highest wheat production 2014-2016
- U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2016U.S. sugar cane production by state 2010-2016