Syria - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Syria
Syria is a nation in Western Asia bordered by Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq, Jordan, and Israel. The total population of Syria increased substantially from 2000 until 2010. In 2010, Syria had a total population of approximately 21.4 million inhabitants. However, due to the constant war within Syria’s borders, that number has since declined and the total population of Syria today cannot be determined exactly. Despite this, in comparison to the previous year, Syria reported positive population growth rates from 2004 to 2014 - but these figures have declined since then as well.
During the Arab Spring in 2011, the economy in Syria was experiencing high unemployment rates, corruption and political repression. Protesters demanded that long-time Syrian leader, Bashar al-Assad, step down, but the protests were ineffective. Since 2011, the armed resistance against the regime has been growing constantly and violence has been increasing. By the summer of 2012, the fighting had spread to Syria’s largest city, Aleppo. Since the beginning of the Syrian revolution, there have been more than 115 thousand civilian casualties and 5 percent of all deaths in Syria are caused by terrorist attacks. Due to the high number of casualties, millions of people have fled Syria and in 2014, Syria had one of the the highest population decline rates in the world.
Despite the unrest in Syria being a result of the poor economic situation, the GDP has grown significantly from 2001 until 2010. However, unemployment rates in Syria have remained exceedingly high. In comparison to other nations in the Middle East, Syria has one of the highest unemployment rates registered. All in all, the Syrian population and economy are still suffering greatly under the war and its consequences, causing many Syrians to leave their home and flee to Europe.
- Opinion of Americans towards US airstrikes if Syria doesn't give up chemical weaponsOpinion of Americans towards US airstrikes if Syria doesn't give up chemical weapons
If Syria does not give up control of its chemical weapons would you favor/oppose military airstrikes?
- Oil exports from Syria - largest importing countriesOil exports from Syria - largest importing countries
Percentage of Syria's oil exports in 2010, by country
- Number of casualties in Syria 2011-2015, by type+Number of casualties in Syria 2011-2015, by type
Number of casualties in Syria since the beginning of the Syrian revolution from 2011 to 2015, sorted by type
- Survey on approval of U.S. military action against ISIS in Iraq and Syria 2014+Survey on approval of U.S. military action against ISIS in Iraq and Syria 2014
Do you approve or disapprove of U.S. military action in Iraq and Syria against Islamic militants, commonly known as ISIS?
- British opinion on US military operations against Islamic State in Syria by ageBritish opinion on US military operations against Islamic State in Syria by age
Do you approve or disapprove of US air strikes on Islamic State/ISIS forces and bases in Syria, to weaken them and push them back?
- Likelihood of permanent defeat of ISIS by the United States 2014+Likelihood of permanent defeat of ISIS by the United States 2014
United States: How likely is it that the U.S. can defeat ISIS permanently?
- ISIS: Twitter presence 2014ISIS: Twitter presence 2014
Twitter presence of ISIS as of Fall 2014
- Major revenue sources of the Islamic State (ISIS) in 2014Major revenue sources of the Islamic State (ISIS) in 2014
Major revenue sources of the Islamic State (ISIS) in 2014
- West Texas Intermediate annual average oil price 1976-2017West Texas Intermediate annual average oil price 1976-2017
- Highest grossing movies at the global box office 2016Highest grossing movies at the global box office 2016
- Number of asylum applications in Finland 2005-2016Number of asylum applications in Finland 2005-2016
- Number of positive asylum decisions in Finland 2011-2016Number of positive asylum decisions in Finland 2011-2016
- Global box office revenue of the most successful movies of all timeGlobal box office revenue of the most successful movies of all time