Medical marijuana in the U.S. - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about medical marijuana in the U.S.
Since California first passed a proposition legalizing marijuana for medical purposes in 1996, medical marijuana has seen a rise in state and public support and has become a growing and prosperous industry. Marijuana, also known as cannabis, has now been approved for medical use in 25 states, and is used to treat symptoms associated with diseases such as AIDS, cancer, and glaucoma.
Although the topic of legalizing marijuana for medical purposes might have been considered controversial in the past, there has been an increase in evidence for the medical benefits of marijuana, such as fewer drug doses being prescribed as a result of its legalization. In addition, some of the possible negative consequences of medical marijuana legalization that were often used to argue against legalization have been found to be unsubstantiated.
Medical marijuana laws, usage, and prices vary from state to state. Not only can prices per gram differ dramatically by state there can also be significant differences in medical marijuana prices between cities within the same state. As some states have more relaxed medical marijuana laws than others, and some have even recently legalized marijuana for recreational use, the number of medical marijuana dispensaries open in each state is also quite varied. The number of medical marijuana patients and caregivers can also fluctuate depending on the state. While Colorado had a legal medical marijuana patient rate of 19.8 per 1,000 residents in 2016, Nevada had a rate of only 5. Similarly, in 2015, Oregon had approximately 36,754 caregivers registered with medical marijuana programs compared to just 3,083 in Colorado.
If current trends persist, medical marijuana will continue to grow as an industry and public support with it. According to surveys from recent years, public approval of medical marijuana has indeed increased, remaining above 77 percent since 2011. Medical marijuana patients seem to also be satisfied with the treatment they experience, with a majority reporting that they would be highly likely to recommend medical marijuana to friends or family for treatment.
|Medical marijuana sales in 2016||2.6bn USD||Details →|
|Projected medical and recreational marijuana consumer market in 2024||37.3bn USD||Details →|
|Number of cannabis businesses in the U.S. as of 2016||33,000||Details →|
|Purchasing and expenditures||Values||Statistic|
|Average price per gram of marijuana in the U.S. as of 2014||13.99 USD||Details →|
|Least expensive U.S. city to purchase legal marijuana 2016||Aurora, Colorado||Details →|
|Most expensive state for purchasing legal marijuana as of 2016||Michigan||Details →|
|Percentage of people that prefer to purchase medical marijuana in a local dispensary as of 2016||61%||Details →|
|Patients and caregivers||Values||Statistic|
|Number of medical marijuana patients per 1,000 state residents in California in 2016||19.8||Details →|
|Number of caregivers registered with medical marijuana programs in Michigan||33,004||Details →|
|Total number of medical marijuana patients in Colorado in October 2016||341,870||Details →|
|Total recreational and medical marijuana sales in Colorado in 2016||1.3bn USD||Details →|
|Total cannabis Colorado sales tax revenue in January 2016||12.47m USD||Details →|
- U.S. legal medical marijuana patients 2016, by state+U.S. legal medical marijuana patients 2016, by state
Number of legal medical marijuana patients in the U.S. as of March 2016, by state
- U.S. medical marijuana dispensaries open 2015, by state+U.S. medical marijuana dispensaries open 2015, by state
Number of open medical marijuana dispensaries in the U.S. as of September 2015, by state
- U.S. public approval of medical marijuana 1995-2015+U.S. public approval of medical marijuana 1995-2015
Approval of medical marijuana in selected opinion polls in the U.S. between 1995 and 2015
- Availability of LSD as perceived by U.S. 12th graders 1975-2016Availability of LSD as perceived by U.S. 12th graders 1975-2016
- Number of cannabis users worldwide by region 2008-2014Number of cannabis users worldwide by region 2008-2014
- U.S. legal medical marijuana patients 2016, by stateU.S. legal medical marijuana patients 2016, by state
- Annual prevalence of hashish use within grades 8, 10 and 12 in the U.S. 1991-2016Annual prevalence of hashish use within grades 8, 10 and 12 in the U.S. 1991-2016
- Annual prevalence of alcohol use within grades 8, 10 and 12 in the U.S. 1991-2016Annual prevalence of alcohol use within grades 8, 10 and 12 in the U.S. 1991-2016