Global Pharmaceutical Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the pharmaceutical industry worldwide
The pharmaceutical industry is responsible for the development, production and marketing of medications. Thus, its immense importance as a global sector is inarguable. Total pharmaceutical revenues worldwide had reached over one trillion U.S. dollars in 2014, with North America responsible for the largest portion of these revenues, due to the leading role of the U.S. pharmaceutical industry. However, as in many other industries, the Chinese pharmaceutical sector has shown the highest growth rates over previous years.
Still, the leading pharmaceutical companies come from the United States and Europe. Based on prescription sales, NYC-based Pfizer is the world’s second largest pharmaceutical company. In 2015, the company generated some 43 billion U.S. dollars in pure pharmaceutical sales, while total revenue stood at nearly 49 billion U.S. dollars. Other top global players from the United States include Johnson & Johnson, Merck and AbbVie. Novartis and Roche from Switzerland, GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca from the United Kingdom, and French Sanofi are the European big five.
Branded, patented medicines by far make up the largest share of pharmaceutical revenues. Humira, an anti-inflammatory drug, generated nearly 15 billion U.S. dollars of revenue worldwide in 2015. Oncologics continue to be the leading therapeutic class based on revenue. In 2015, cancer drugs made almost 79 billion U.S. dollars of revenue globally. Other major therapy classes were pain drugs, antihypertensives and antidiabetics.
More than any other industry, the pharmaceutical sector is highly dependent on its research and development segment. Pharmaceutical companies invest 20 percent and more of their revenues in R&D measures. The United States is a traditional stronghold of pharmaceutical innovation. The origin of most new substances introduced to the market can be traced back to the United States. Because of the steady loss of patent protection, the invention of new drugs is of vital importance for the pharmaceutical industry. Revenue losses due to patent expiry often are very significant, as can be seen with Pfizer’s Lipitor.
Picture: freeimages.com / forwardcom
|Revenue of the worldwide pharmaceutical market||$1072bn||Details →|
|Revenue share of the North American pharmaceutical market||48.7%||Details →|
|Pharmaceutical sales in oncologics||$78.9bn||Details →|
|Companies and Products||Values||Statistic|
|℞ Sales of Pfizer||$47.4bn||Details →|
|Net income of Johnson & Johnson||$15.94bn||Details →|
|Sales of Humira||$14.95bn||Details →|
|Novartis AG total revenue||$48.5bn||Details →|
|Contribution to pharmaceutical market growth by Asia/Australia||36%||Details →|
|North American projected global pharmaceutical revenue in 2016||$574bn||Details →|
|Projected global spending on medicines by 2020||$1,470bn||Details →|
- Pharmaceutical market: worldwide revenue 2001-2015+Pharmaceutical market: worldwide revenue 2001-2015
Revenue of the worldwide pharmaceutical market from 2001 to 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Top 10 global pharmaceutical markets: growth 2010-2015+Top 10 global pharmaceutical markets: growth 2010-2015
Growth of top 10 national pharmaceutical markets worldwide from 2010 to 2015*
- Top 50 pharmaceutical companies - Rx sales and R&D spending 2015+Top 50 pharmaceutical companies - Rx sales and R&D spending 2015
Top 50 global pharmaceutical companies by prescription sales and R&D spending in 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- CVS Health's number of stores 2005-2016CVS Health's number of stores 2005-2016
- Biogen's top products based on revenue 2014-2016Biogen's top products based on revenue 2014-2016
- Roche Group's total sales 2006-2016Roche Group's total sales 2006-2016
- Roche Group's number of employees 2007-2016Roche Group's number of employees 2007-2016
- Pharmaceutical company Roche: top drugs based on revenue 2015-2016Pharmaceutical company Roche: top drugs based on revenue 2015-2016