Global Pharmaceutical Industry - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the pharmaceutical industry worldwide
The pharmaceutical industry is responsible for the development, production and marketing of medications. Thus, its immense importance as a global sector is evident. The total level of pharmaceutical revenue worldwide had reached nearly one trillion U.S. dollars. North America is responsible for the largest portion, generating more than 40 percent of these revenues. This is mostly due to the leading role of the U.S. pharmaceutical industry. But as in many other industries, the Chinese pharmaceutical sector shows the highest growth rates over the last years.
Still, the leading pharmaceutical companies come from the United States and Europe. Based on prescription sales, NYC-based Pfizer is the world’s second largest pharmaceutical company. In 2013, the company generated some 45 billion U.S. dollars in pure pharmaceutical sales, while total revenue stood at nearly 52 billion U.S. dollars. Other top global players from the United States are Johnson & Johnson, Merck and AbbVie. Novartis and Roche from Switzerland, GlaxoSmithKline and AstraZeneca from the United Kingdom, and French Sanofi are the European big five.
Branded, patented medicines by far make up the largest share of pharmaceutical revenues. Humira, an anti-inflammatory drug, generated nearly 10 billion U.S. dollars of revenue worldwide. Oncologics continue to be the leading therapeutic class based on revenue. In 2013, cancer drugs made around 67 billion U.S. dollars of revenue globally. Other major therapy classes were pain drugs, antihypertensives and antidiabetics.
More than any other industry, the pharmaceutical sector is highly dependent on its research and development segment. Pharmaceutical companies invest 20 percent and more of their revenues in R&D measures. The United States is a traditional stronghold of pharmaceutical innovation. Most new substances introduced to the market trace their origin to the United States. Because of the steadily loss of patent protection, the invention of new drugs is of vital importance for the pharmaceutical industry. Revenue losses due to patent expiry often are very significant, as it can be seen with Pfizer’s Lipitor.
Picture: freeimages.com / forwardcom
|Revenue of the worldwide pharmaceutical market||$1057.2bn||Details →|
|Revenue share of the North American pharmaceutical market||48.7%||Details →|
|Pharmaceutical sales in oncologics||$78.9bn||Details →|
|Companies and Products||Values||Statistic|
|℞ Sales of Pfizer||$47.4bn||Details →|
|Net income of Johnson & Johnson||$16.3bn||Details →|
|Sales of Humira||$14.95bn||Details →|
|Novartis AG total revenue||$49.4bn||Details →|
|Contribution to pharmaceutical market growth by China||40%||Details →|
|North American projected global pharmaceutical revenue in 2016||$371.8bn||Details →|
|Projected global spending on medicines by 2020||$1,415bn||Details →|
- Pharmaceutical market: worldwide revenue 2001-2014+Pharmaceutical market: worldwide revenue 2001-2014
Revenue of the worldwide pharmaceutical market from 2001 to 2014 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Top 10 global pharmaceutical markets: growth 2010-2014+Top 10 global pharmaceutical markets: growth 2010-2014
Growth of top 10 national pharmaceutical markets worldwide from 2010 to 2014*
- Top 50 pharmaceutical companies - Rx sales and R&D spending 2015+Top 50 pharmaceutical companies - Rx sales and R&D spending 2015
Top 50 global pharmaceutical companies by prescription sales and R&D spending in 2015 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- Pfizer's quarterly revenue 2010-2016Pfizer's quarterly revenue 2010-2016
- Revenue of the chemical industry worldwide and in the EU 2004-2015Revenue of the chemical industry worldwide and in the EU 2004-2015
- Global number of chemical-pharmaceutical sector deals 2010-2016Global number of chemical-pharmaceutical sector deals 2010-2016
- Global value of chemical-pharmaceutical sector deals 2010-2016Global value of chemical-pharmaceutical sector deals 2010-2016
- Top 10 countries in pharmaceutical sector M&As HY1 2016Top 10 countries in pharmaceutical sector M&As HY1 2016