Suicide - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Suicide
Suicide is the act of a person intentionally causing their own death. Suicide is a major public health problem in many countries and is often connected to depression, mental disorders or substance abuse. In the United States, suicide was one of the most frequent causes of death in 2014. Since the 1950s, the death rate from suicide has only slightly decreased, in fact, it increased again after a slight dip in the early Noughties. The major cause of death in the United States is heart disease.
A big gender difference exists in regards to suicide in the United States. According to gender-based suicide statistics by the National Center for Disease Control and Prevention, suicide is much more common among men in the United States. In every age group, the male suicide rate is considerably higher than the female rate and overall almost four times as many men as women die as a result of suicide. Leaving gender aside, the data shows that suicide is a problem across all age groups. The highest suicide rate lies with people between 45 and 64 and is reported to be at more than 19 deaths per 100,000 people in that age group in 2014, again, a slight increase from the previous year. Pre-teenage suicide is fortunately very rare, with only 0.5 cases per 100,000 Americans aged 5 to 14 years.
Picture: aboutpixel.de / Tiberius K.
- Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 1950-2014+Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 1950-2014
Deaths by suicide per 100,000 resident population in the U.S. from 1950 to 2014*
- Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 2013-2014 by age+Death rate for suicide in the U.S. 2013-2014 by age
Deaths by suicide per 100,000 residents in the U.S. in 2013 and 2014, by age*
- Death rate from suicide in the U.S. by gender and age 2014+Death rate from suicide in the U.S. by gender and age 2014
Deaths per 100,000 resident population by suicide in the U.S. in 2014, by gender and age*
- Cost of an adult funeral since 1960+Cost of an adult funeral since 1960
Cost of an adult's funeral between 1960 and 2006 (in U.S. dollars)
- United States - leading states by share of deaths cremated 2010+United States - leading states by share of deaths cremated 2010
Cremation - leading U.S. states by percentage of deaths cremated 2010
- Revenue of cemetery services in the U.S., 2008-2013+Revenue of cemetery services in the U.S., 2008-2013
Revenue of cemetery services (NAICS 81222) in the United States from 2008 to 2013 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017Italy: most striking news of the week 7-13 February 2017
- Highest grossing movies at the global box office 2016Highest grossing movies at the global box office 2016
- Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017
- Global death rate - leading causes 2015Global death rate - leading causes 2015
- Chronology of Ebola virus disease outbreaks 1976-2016Chronology of Ebola virus disease outbreaks 1976-2016