Is Android Becoming the New Windows?
There was a time, around 20 years ago, when Microsoft had around 90 percent market share in the computing market while other companies, most notably Apple, were fighting for relevance. A lot has changed since then. It began with the slow reemergence of Apple in the late 1990s and early 2000s, but it wasn't until the first iPhone was released in 2007 that the market was turned upside down. Within a couple of years, hundreds of millions of new computing devices were sold and Microsoft lost its dominant market position.
Now it’s Windows that’s struggling to stay relevant while another operating system is as ubiquitous as Windows once was. It’s not Apple that has risen to dominance though - Mac OS and iOS still trail Windows in terms of market share. It’s Android that has taken over the reins from Microsoft. According to Gartner's latest forecast, Google's open operating system will be installed on almost 60 percent of all connected devices shipped this year. That includes PCs, mobile phones, tablets and so-called hypermobiles, a relatively new category of devices that consists of tablet/PC hybrids and cloud-based laptops such as Google's Chromebook. In 2014, more than one billion Android devices were shipped worldwide, likely bringing Android's installed base to more than two billion devices.
- iOS and Android: mobile device activations on Christmas day 2012iOS and Android: mobile device activations on Christmas day 2012
- Android and iOS users by annual income in China 2012Android and iOS users by annual income in China 2012
- Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2015Market share of Android and iOS in smartphone sales in Germany 2012-2015
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016Most popular product brands on Facebook 2016
- Global market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by monthGlobal market share held by computer operating systems 2012-2015, by month
- China: production of cell phones by month June2016China: production of cell phones by month June2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens