The iPhone Is More Vital Than Ever to Apple's Success
When Apple announces its results for the most recent quarter later today, analysts, investors and the media will be particularly interested in one number: the number of iPhones Apple managed to sell. It's been eight years since Steve Jobs introduced the original iPhone to the public and it has never been more important to the company’s success. In the past quarter, the iPhone accounted for a stunning 69 percent of Apple’s revenue and presumably for a similar if not larger share of its blockbuster profits.
In retrospect, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus couldn’t have arrived at a better time for Apple. Just when sales were beginning to slow down and people started questioning Apple’s dependence on the iPhone, the large-screen iPhone 6 and 6 Plus reignited growth and helped Apple post two record-breaking quarters in a row. As long as the company can sustain its current momentum in the smartphone market, its results will be fine and investors will be satisfied. However, as soon as iPhone sales start to show any signs of slowing down again, the mood among Apple’s shareholders could quickly turn sour.
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Sprint Q1 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Sprint Q1 2010-Q4 2011
- Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015Mobile OS: smartphone market share in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2021Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2021
- Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2016Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2016
- Global smartphone sales by OS 2009-2016Global smartphone sales by OS 2009-2016
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017Most popular Facebook fan pages 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl