The iPhone Is More Vital Than Ever to Apple's Success
When Apple announces its results for the most recent quarter later today, analysts, investors and the media will be particularly interested in one number: the number of iPhones Apple managed to sell. It's been eight years since Steve Jobs introduced the original iPhone to the public and it has never been more important to the company’s success. In the past quarter, the iPhone accounted for a stunning 69 percent of Apple’s revenue and presumably for a similar if not larger share of its blockbuster profits.
In retrospect, the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus couldn’t have arrived at a better time for Apple. Just when sales were beginning to slow down and people started questioning Apple’s dependence on the iPhone, the large-screen iPhone 6 and 6 Plus reignited growth and helped Apple post two record-breaking quarters in a row. As long as the company can sustain its current momentum in the smartphone market, its results will be fine and investors will be satisfied. However, as soon as iPhone sales start to show any signs of slowing down again, the mood among Apple’s shareholders could quickly turn sour.
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share Q1 2010-Q1 2012
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Verizon Q1 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by Verizon Q1 2010-Q4 2011
- Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by T-Mobile Q1 2010-Q4 2011Apple vs. Samsung: U.S. smartphone market share by T-Mobile Q1 2010-Q4 2011
- Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies September 19 to September 26, 2016Estimated weekly TV ad spend of U.S. companies September 19 to September 26, 2016
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl