Women Vastly Underrepresented In Silicon Valley Tech Jobs
Over the past couple of months, many of the largest technology companies in the world have published diversity reports detailing the composition of their respective workforces. In an earlier chart we reported that the majority of workers in tech companies is male, with the share of female employees ranging from 40% at Pinterest to 25% at Intel. At second glance however, the degree to which females are underrepresented in the tech industry is much more drastic than our previous chart suggested.
What most of the mentioned diversity reports have in common is the fact that they break down the workforce into tech and non-tech jobs. For non-tech jobs, the male to female ratio roughly mirrors that of the U.S. labor force as a whole for most companies. Looking at tech jobs (programmers, engineers, etc.) yields an entirely different result: women account for less than one in five tech jobs at six of the world's most renowned tech companies, including Apple, Google and Facebook.
- Revenue per employee of leading tech companies 2015Revenue per employee of leading tech companies 2015
- Number of U.S. patents held by tech companies in 2012Number of U.S. patents held by tech companies in 2012
- Diversification of tech companiesDiversification of tech companies
- Ranking of top car manufacturers worldwide - global sales 2014/15Ranking of top car manufacturers worldwide - global sales 2014/15
- Share of smartphone sales worldwide by operating system 2011-2016, by quarterShare of smartphone sales worldwide by operating system 2011-2016, by quarter
- Apple's revenue share by operating segment 2012-2016, by quarterApple's revenue share by operating segment 2012-2016, by quarter
- Shared office space leased in the U.S. 2016, by cityShared office space leased in the U.S. 2016, by city
- Largest Fintech companies worldwide 2015, by revenue from financial servicesLargest Fintech companies worldwide 2015, by revenue from financial services
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Jan Ahrens