The Oil and Gas Industry in the United States
The figures behind the oil and gas industry in the United States are impressive. In 1999, the US produced 7.7 million barrels of oil per day and this grew to almost 9 million in 2012. The natural gas industry is also making powerful strides, boosted by the implementation of hydraulic fracturing or "fracking", the controversial shale gas extraction technique everyone seems to be talking about.
Natural gas production has reached 681 billion cubic meters, a noticeable increase on 539 billion cubic metres in 1998. Shale gas production has skyrocketed from 0.5 trillion feet in 2003 to 8.6 trillion cubic feet in 2013. Unsurprisingly, fracking has become big business with shale gas production projected to hit 16.7 trillion cubic feet by 2040. In 2012, there were over 45,000 fracking wells across the US.
- Monthly average crude oil prices of the OPEC basket 2016-2017Monthly average crude oil prices of the OPEC basket 2016-2017
- UK Brent crude oil price annually 1976-2017UK Brent crude oil price annually 1976-2017
- Monthly crude oil price average for UK Brent 2016-2017Monthly crude oil price average for UK Brent 2016-2017
- U.S. crude oil prices: West Texas Intermediate 2014-2018U.S. crude oil prices: West Texas Intermediate 2014-2018
- Crude oil prices: UK Brent 2014-2018Crude oil prices: UK Brent 2014-2018
- BP's revenue 2003-2016BP's revenue 2003-2016
- BP's number of employees 2011-2016BP's number of employees 2011-2016
- China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area February 2017China: Consumer Price Index (CPI) in China by sector and area February 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl