These Countries Have The Fastest Internet Speeds
According to Akamai's most recent State of the Internet Report, South Korea boasts the highest average internet connection speed in the world. Korea's internet users surfed at an average speed of 24.6 Mbps in the second quarter of 2014 according to Akamai's measurements (click here for details on their methodology).
Korea is trailed by Hong Kong, Switzerland and Japan who each saw average speeds around 15 Mbps. The United States ranked 14th with an average connection speed of 11.4 Mbps, which is still way above the global average of 4.6 Mbps. To add a little perspective on what these speeds mean: At 10 Mbps it takes around 50 minutes to download a 2-hour movie in HD quality.
- Number of fixed broadband internet subscriptions worldwide 2005-2016Number of fixed broadband internet subscriptions worldwide 2005-2016
- Fixed broadband internet subscription reach 2016, by regionFixed broadband internet subscription reach 2016, by region
- Share of households with broadband internet access in Germany 2003-2015Share of households with broadband internet access in Germany 2003-2015
- Share of individuals with internet access in the Netherlands 2012-2015Share of individuals with internet access in the Netherlands 2012-2015
- Penetration rate of internet users in China 2005-2015Penetration rate of internet users in China 2005-2015
- Broadband internet subscriber numbers in the U.S. 2011-2016, by cable providerBroadband internet subscriber numbers in the U.S. 2011-2016, by cable provider
- Fixed broadband internet subscribers in the U.S. 2010-2016Fixed broadband internet subscribers in the U.S. 2010-2016
- Average LTE download speed by country globally 2016Average LTE download speed by country globally 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl