The Generation Gap in Music Streaming Adoption
Over the past few years, online radio services and other music streaming offerings have constantly risen in popularity. Aided by the rise of smartphones and the availability of fast and reliable wireless networks, streaming services such as Pandora and Spotify have been able to break through to the mainstream and build substantial user bases.
However, according to the latest edition of Edison's The Infinite Dial, an annual study on consumer adoption of digital media in the United States, there seems to be a big generation gap in the adoption of streaming services: while 77% of the respondents aged 12-24 and 61% of those aged 25-54 had streamed music within the month preceding the survey, only 26% of those aged 55 and above had done so.
The steep drop-off in usage from the age of 55 can be observed across all of the most popular music services, as our chart nicely illustrates.
- Music streaming revenue worldwide 2015-2020Music streaming revenue worldwide 2015-2020
- Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015Revenue from music streaming in Germany 2008-2015
- Music streaming revenue worldwide 2010-2015, by typeMusic streaming revenue worldwide 2010-2015, by type
- Global digital music revenue 2005-2015Global digital music revenue 2005-2015
- Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015Global revenue of the music industry 2002-2015
- Global music revenue 2015-2020, by sourceGlobal music revenue 2015-2020, by source
- Music market revenue in Germany 2003-2019Music market revenue in Germany 2003-2019
- Music industry revenue in Sweden from 2010-2019Music industry revenue in Sweden from 2010-2019
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl