The Fastest-Growing App Categories in 2015
Over the past few years, smartphones and tablets have completely changed the way we interact with media. We may still be listening to the radio, read the news and or watch television shows, but more and more often we’re doing it on our mobile devices or, to be more precise, within apps.
When the first iPhone was released in 2007, there was no App Store and the idea of a phone doing all of the stuff today’s smartphones are capable of seemed ludicrous to say the least. It was the introduction of apps that really started what we consider the mobile revolution in retrospect. Ever since Apple introduced the App Store in 2008, app usage has been growing and it continues to do so until today. According to Flurry Analytics, a company tracking usage across millions of apps, global app usage increased by 58% in 2015 (compared to 76% in 2014 and 103% in 2013).
Personalization apps (e.g. emoji keyboards or wallpaper apps) were the fastest-growing category in 2015. App sessions (that is the number of times a user opens an app) increased by 332% in this category. News & magazine apps were the second-fastest growing app category in the past 12 months. As smartphone screens keep getting bigger, consumers are increasingly open to consuming content on their mobile devices - a trend that publishers should be ready to take advantage of.
- Mobile app usage level in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015, by typeMobile app usage level in the United Kingdom (UK) 2015, by type
- Canada mobile banking app usage 2015Canada mobile banking app usage 2015
- Monthly mobile app usage frequency 2016, by categoryMonthly mobile app usage frequency 2016, by category
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016Most popular Apple App Store categories 2016
- Most visited websites in the Netherlands October 2016, by monthly reachMost visited websites in the Netherlands October 2016, by monthly reach
- Leading Android app reach in the United States 2016Leading Android app reach in the United States 2016
- Leading Android gaming app reach worldwide 2016Leading Android gaming app reach worldwide 2016
- Leading Android gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016Leading Android gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl