How to Measure Audience Engagement Online?
Despite tonnes of aggregated data, measuring success in the online publishing world isn’t as straight forward as it may seem. The gold standard is audience engagement. However, this principle isn’t very well defined. As a survey of digital publishing professionals conducted by Parse.ly shows, there are many ways to measure the degree to which audiences engage with content.
For most industry insiders content is valued most when it’s shared a lot, closely followed by the actual amount of time users dwell on a piece. Also, content that attracts a wealth of comments is considered to be very engaging. Only then, do variables pop up that formerly were thought of as the most important digital currency, such as page views and visitors.
This chart was first published by FIPP.
- Number of digital publishing houses in China from 2007 to 2012Number of digital publishing houses in China from 2007 to 2012
- Most popular e-mail sites in Europe in 2012, based on user engagementMost popular e-mail sites in Europe in 2012, based on user engagement
- Global user engagement on online retail propertis 2014Global user engagement on online retail propertis 2014
- Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017Global social networks ranked by number of users 2017
- Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017Most popular Apple App Store categories 2017
- Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017Most popular product brands on Facebook 2017
- U.S. newspaper publishing revenue 2010-2015, by media type U.S. newspaper publishing revenue 2010-2015, by media type
- Number of global social network users 2010-2020Number of global social network users 2010-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl