The potential of mobile payments is enormous: there are 1.3 billion active credit and debit accounts in the world, but more than 5 billion active mobile phone accounts.
In Africa and Asia, financial transactions via mobile phone are a widespread way to overcome deficits in banking infrastructure. In the western world, the growing adoption of smartphones and the technological progress have given rise to the idea of mobile wallets.
- Share of respondents making use of mobile payment system in the UK in 2015Share of respondents making use of mobile payment system in the UK in 2015
- Usage of mobile payment services for U.S. back-to-school shopping 2015Usage of mobile payment services for U.S. back-to-school shopping 2015
- Share of mobile payment methods used for in-store purchasing in the UK 2015Share of mobile payment methods used for in-store purchasing in the UK 2015
- PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2015PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2015
- China: number of internet users December 2015China: number of internet users December 2015
- U.S. mobile wallet usage frequency 2016, by type of storeU.S. mobile wallet usage frequency 2016, by type of store
- U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction value 2015-2020U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction value 2015-2020
- PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl