Mobile Payments - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Mobile Payments
Mobile payments refer to payment services performed from or via a mobile device. Such payments are also routinely referred to as mobile money, mobile money transfer or mobile wallet and present themselves as an alternative to cash, cheque or credit card payments. A growing phenomenon in developed markets, mobile payments have been especially successful in developing markets where previously underbanked consumers have been able to take advantage of new mobile infrastructures to improve their financial standings. In the United States, remote payments are projected to double in volume in only five years. Furthermore, use of non-traditional paying methods for goods and services is not only dependent on the geographical location of the payee, but also on variables such as age, education and economical background. In the United States, the typical user of mobile paying methods is between 30 and 44 years old , is college-educated and has an above-average yearly salary .
The four primary models for mobile payments are premium SMS, direct mobile billing, web based payments (including apps) and contactless NFC. In the United States, the majority of mobile payments were still connected to debit or credit card usage. Only 15.4 percent of mobile payment users utilized designated online wallets such as PayPal or Google Wallet and only 4.2 percent used carrier billing. One of the most popular uses of mobile payment services is making online purchases , followed by paying bills through a mobile browser or application. According to a survey, another attractive feature of mobile payment technologies for consumers in the United States would be the ability to use one’s phone to stop unauthorized payment transactions .
As the awareness regarding digital payment methods, such as the mobile wallet, grows from year to year, so does the tendency to use such methods for daily routine transactions. As of 2015, some 40 percent of responding smartphone payment users used their device to pay for food or drinks at quick service restaurants. The American coffee shop chain Starbucks alone has witnessed an almost twofold increase in weekly mobile app payments in the space of only one year.
As of 2015, scanning a barcode or QR code was the most widely-used method of paying for purchases among consumers in the United States, while the leading mobile payment platform accepted by North American retailers that same year was PayPal.
Photo: istockphoto.com / saturated
|PayPal's annual mobile payment volume||$102bn||Details →|
|PayPal's total active registered user accounts||197m||Details →|
|PayPal's net revenue in Q2 2016||$2,981m||Details →|
|Proximity mobile payments||Values||Statistic|
|Projected U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction value in 2019||$199.49bn||Details →|
|U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction users||23.2m||Details →|
|Average annual spending per U.S. proximity mobile payment transaction user||$375.82||Details →|
- Driving factors of mobile payment growth 2015+Driving factors of mobile payment growth 2015
Players most likely to drive growth in global mobile payments as of 2015
- PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016PayPal: active registered user accounts 2010-2016
Number of PayPal's total active registered user accounts from 1st quarter 2010 to 4th quarter 2016 (in millions)
- Global NFC mobile payment users 2012-2018 +Global NFC mobile payment users 2012-2018
NFC mobile payment users worldwide from 2012 to 2018 (in millions)
- U.S. mobile wallet service user satisfaction 2015U.S. mobile wallet service user satisfaction 2015
Smartphone user satisfaction with selected mobile wallet services in the United States as of April 2015
- North America mobile payment transactions 2014-2015+North America mobile payment transactions 2014-2015
Mobile transaction usage of payment users in North America in 2014 and 2015
- U.S. consumer interest in mobile payment activities 2016U.S. consumer interest in mobile payment activities 2016
Share of consumers in the United States who are interested in selected mobile payment services and activities in 2016
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2021Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2021
- Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2016Global smartphone sales to end users 2007-2016
- Global smartphone sales by OS 2009-2016Global smartphone sales by OS 2009-2016
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016