Leicester sack Ranieri
The Cynical Game
Less than a year after taking 5000-1 rank outsiders Leicester City to the peak of the domestic game, manager Claudio Ranieri has been sacked. True, this season isn't exactly going well - the club are in the midst of a relegation battle - but to sack the man that delivered the unthinkable only 298 days ago is a very cynical move.
As the infographic below shows, Ranieri has joined José Mourinho and Roberto Mancini as managers who have been sacked within a year (Mancini exactly one year) of winning the Premier League title. Management at this level has long been a cut throat business, with managers being sacked on an alarmingly regular basis. On this occasion though, the decision has drawn particular ire from pundits and fans alike. Ex-England and Leicester player turned TV presenter Gary Lineker reacted with this already much-quoted tweet:
After all that Claudio Ranieri has done for Leicester City, to sack him now is inexplicable, unforgivable and gut-wrenchingly sad.— Gary Lineker (@GaryLineker) February 23, 2017
- English Premier League: number of Twitter followers in 2015, by clubEnglish Premier League: number of Twitter followers in 2015, by club
- English Premier League: number of Facebook followers in 2015, by clubEnglish Premier League: number of Facebook followers in 2015, by club
- UK: media rights revenues per rights cycle of the Premier League 2001-2019UK: media rights revenues per rights cycle of the Premier League 2001-2019
- Average match attendance of top club sport competitions worldwide 2014/2015Average match attendance of top club sport competitions worldwide 2014/2015
- Overall football attendance in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2016, by leagueOverall football attendance in the United Kingdom (UK) in 2016, by league
- Sporting and media events with the most Facebook interactions in 2014-2016Sporting and media events with the most Facebook interactions in 2014-2016
- Europe: media rights value of the leading football leagues 2016/17Europe: media rights value of the leading football leagues 2016/17
- TV broadcast rights fees of major sports leagues 2016/2017TV broadcast rights fees of major sports leagues 2016/2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl