The States Where U.S. Citizens Hugely Outearn Immigrants
During a Phoenix rally in the summer of 2015, Donald Trump lambasted Mexican immigrants, saying: "They're taking our manufacturing jobs. They're taking our money. They're killing us". A new analysis of household earning power has actually revealed that U.S.-born citizens are outearning immigrants in 45 states, often to the tune of thousands of dollars.
The analysis, conducted by Nerdwallet, found that Wyoming topped the list. In that state, a household led by someone born in the U.S. would have a median annual income of $59,689 compared to just $40,145 for a household headed by an immigrant. North Dakorta and Nebraska also have highly pronounced gaps at around $17,000. The five states that buck the trend and see immigrant households outearning U.S.-born households are Delaware, Michigan, Mississippi, West Virginia and Virginia.
- Gross annual earnings in the accommodation sector in Germany 2007-2015Gross annual earnings in the accommodation sector in Germany 2007-2015
- Median combined annual earnings of newlyweds in the U.S. in 2010 by race Median combined annual earnings of newlyweds in the U.S. in 2010 by race
- Gross annual earnings of printing industry employees in Germany 2005-2015Gross annual earnings of printing industry employees in Germany 2005-2015
- Number of Zika virus cases in the U.S. by state or territory 2015-2017Number of Zika virus cases in the U.S. by state or territory 2015-2017
- U.S. states health ranking 2016U.S. states health ranking 2016
- U.S. infant mortality rate by state 2016U.S. infant mortality rate by state 2016
- U.S. binge drinking among adults by state 2016U.S. binge drinking among adults by state 2016
- Percentage of obese U.S. adults by state 2016Percentage of obese U.S. adults by state 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl