China Executes Most People By Far
The number of executions is in decline worldwide, comparing last year's figures to the year before. However, the number of death penalties handed down has increased in 2016, as stated in a recent report by Amnesty International (AI). Most executions by far still occur in China. AI estimates that thousands of people were executed in there. Chinese authorities do not publish official figures. Iran has the second deadliest justice system in place, followed by Saudi Arabia, Iraq and Pakistan. The United States executed 20 people last year. Amnesty International is campaigning for a worldwide abolition of the death sentence, especially for minors.
- Most common reasons to support the death penalty in the U.S. 2014Most common reasons to support the death penalty in the U.S. 2014
- Most common reasons to oppose the death penalty in the U.S. 2014Most common reasons to oppose the death penalty in the U.S. 2014
- Boston Bombings - survey on the death penalty for the convicted perpetrator 2013Boston Bombings - survey on the death penalty for the convicted perpetrator 2013
- Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017Number of executions in the United States 2014-2017
- Italy: individuals receiving subsidiary protection status 2016Italy: individuals receiving subsidiary protection status 2016
- U.S. capital punishment - executions per year 2000-2016U.S. capital punishment - executions per year 2000-2016
- Number of death sentences worldwide in 2015Number of death sentences worldwide in 2015
- Number of executions worldwide in 2015Number of executions worldwide in 2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl