Consumption of vegetable oils worldwide from 2013/14 to 2017/2018, by oil type (in million metric tons)

Vegetable oils: global consumption by oil type 2013/14 to 2017/2018 This statistic shows the global consumption of vegetable oils from 2013/14 to 2016/17, by oil type, and provides a forecast for 2017/18. In 2016/17, sunflowerseed oil consumption amounted to 16.52 million metric tons worldwide. The global vegetable oil production amounted to around 182 million metric tons in 2016/2017.
Vegetable oils

Vegetable oils are oils or fats extracted from a plant. Their texture can be described as liquid, oily and fatty. Most vegetable oils are able to fulfill two functions: they can either be used as cooking oil or for fuel and diesel production. The most common oil types include palm oil, soybean oil, canola oil and sunflowerseed oil. Palm oil is extracted from the flesh of the palm fruit, which is primarily found in the tropical climate of Africa, South America and South East Asia. It is estimated that about 90 percent of palm oil is used for food consumption, whereas industrial consumption such as cosmetic products or fuel and diesel claim the remaining 10 percent.

In terms of consumption as a food product, vegetable oils are seen as the healthier alternative as they contain more unsaturated fatty acids than animal fats. One of the most widely used cooking oils is canola oil, also known as rapeseed oil. It is obtained by extraction from the rapeseed, which is first slightly heated and then crushed. Rapeseed oil, in particular, is seen to have the advantages of containing a higher amount of omega-3 (linolenic acid) and omega-6 (linoleic) fatty acids and to be low in saturated fatty acids. In 2015/2016, the global rapeseed oil consumption amounted to 27.77 million metric tons, up from 24.29 million metric tons in 2012/13.
Show more
Loading statistic...
Palm oilSoybean oilSunflowerseed oilPalm Kernel oilPeanut oilCottonseed oilCoconut oilOlive oilRapeseed oil
2013/1457.5245.2714.146.585.685.093.342.9726.17
2014/1558.6947.8314.117.225.515.063.292.6427.29
2015/1659.2852.1515.186.815.444.43.262.8128.18
2016/1759.9753.6216.527.025.774.383.172.6329.22
2017/18*62.9255.9916.797.215.994.933.222.6429.35
Palm oilSoybean oilSunflowerseed oilPalm Kernel oilPeanut oilCottonseed oilCoconut oilOlive oilRapeseed oil
2013/1457.5245.2714.146.585.685.093.342.9726.17
2014/1558.6947.8314.117.225.515.063.292.6427.29
2015/1659.2852.1515.186.815.444.43.262.8128.18
2016/1759.9753.6216.527.025.774.383.172.6329.22
2017/18*62.9255.9916.797.215.994.933.222.6429.35
Download Settings Share
Chart type
Datalabels
Share on Social Media
HTML code to embed chart as PNG (FAQ)
Download started
Please be patient - this may take a moment
Description Source More information
This statistic shows the global consumption of vegetable oils from 2013/14 to 2016/17, by oil type, and provides a forecast for 2017/18. In 2016/17, sunflowerseed oil consumption amounted to 16.52 million metric tons worldwide. The global vegetable oil production amounted to around 182 million metric tons in 2016/2017.
Vegetable oils

Vegetable oils are oils or fats extracted from a plant. Their texture can be described as liquid, oily and fatty. Most vegetable oils are able to fulfill two functions: they can either be used as cooking oil or for fuel and diesel production. The most common oil types include palm oil, soybean oil, canola oil and sunflowerseed oil. Palm oil is extracted from the flesh of the palm fruit, which is primarily found in the tropical climate of Africa, South America and South East Asia. It is estimated that about 90 percent of palm oil is used for food consumption, whereas industrial consumption such as cosmetic products or fuel and diesel claim the remaining 10 percent.

In terms of consumption as a food product, vegetable oils are seen as the healthier alternative as they contain more unsaturated fatty acids than animal fats. One of the most widely used cooking oils is canola oil, also known as rapeseed oil. It is obtained by extraction from the rapeseed, which is first slightly heated and then crushed. Rapeseed oil, in particular, is seen to have the advantages of containing a higher amount of omega-3 (linolenic acid) and omega-6 (linoleic) fatty acids and to be low in saturated fatty acids. In 2015/2016, the global rapeseed oil consumption amounted to 27.77 million metric tons, up from 24.29 million metric tons in 2012/13.
Show more
Release date
November 2017
Region
Worldwide
Survey time period
2013/14 to 2016/17
Supplementary notes
* Forecast as of November.
The data based on Marketing Years (MY). Most countries are on an October/September MY.

More information

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $588 / Year

Basic Account

Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.

Register for free

Premium Account

Your perfect start with Statista

  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references

$49 / Month *

Corporate Account

Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

Send request

* All products require an annual contract.
   Prices do not include sales tax
   (New York residents only).
Leading companies trust Statista:

Related Studies: Available to Download in PDF or PPTX Format

Vegetable oils and fats

All Information
in one Presentation

Vegetable oils and fats

Everything On "Vegetable oils and fats" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.

Statista has been my savior on several occasions. The site is easy to maneuver and the data is in a format that can go right into a report or presentation.
Marlene Greenfield

Marlene Greenfield
Vice President, Hearst Magazines

Statistics on "Vegetable oils and fats"

  • Overview
  • Production
  • Export facts
The most important statistics
  • Import facts
The most important statistics
  • Retail facts
  • Consumption overview
Need help with using Statista for your research? Tutorials and first steps

Further Content: Statistics, Studies, and Topic Pages

Statistics on the topic

Topics

About Statista

Learn more about how Statista can support your business.

Request webinar
Do you have any questions about our business solutions?

We provide you with detailed information about our Corporate Account.

5 News

We use cookies to personalize contents and ads, offer social media features, and analyze access to our website. In your browser settings you can configure or disable this, respectively, and can delete any already placed cookies. For details, please see your browser’s Help section (by pressing F1). Please see our privacy statement for details about how we use data.