Asthma - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about Asthma
It is estimated that, around 235 million people worldwide are suffering from asthma. The latest estimates show that the prevalence of asthma in the U.S. has increased to 8.6 percent in 2016, in comparison to 7.6 percent in 2001. In 2014, there was one death from asthma per 100,000 of the U.S. population, with women and children being more prone to the condition.
As the U.S. struggles with weight and obesity problems it is important to recognize the connection between weight and asthma. It has been shown that those who are obese have higher prevalence rates of asthma than those who are of normal weight. Moreover, obese women are twice as likely to have asthma than obese men are and almost twice as likely to have asthma than a woman of normal weight.
Asthma is most often treated by controllers, such as inhaled corticosteroids and relievers. Around 15 million Americans seek medication due to asthma-related problems annually. The high prevalence of asthma results in it being one of the most popular drug classes for retail prescriptions in the U.S., with approximately 570 prescriptions for asthma per 1,000 patients in 2014.
Furthermore, asthma is responsible for a large number of hospital visits every year. In 2014, there were about 2,325 outpatient cases for asthma per hospital. The economic burden of asthma can be heavy for all who are affected, and the costs of lost work productivity, medications and hospital visits can be troublesome. It is estimated that in 2014, the average charge per inpatient case for asthma patients amounted to almost 30,000 U.S. dollars.
Photo: sxc.hu / nickwinch
- Percentage of current asthma in the United States 2001-2016Percentage of current asthma in the United States 2001-2016
Percentage of persons with current asthma in the United States from 2001 to 2016
- U.S. states with highest asthma death rates 2014U.S. states with highest asthma death rates 2014
U.S. states with the highest death rates from asthma as of 2014 (per million population)
- Rates of asthma among U.S. adults 2011-2014, by weight and ethnicity+Rates of asthma among U.S. adults 2011-2014, by weight and ethnicity
Prevalence rates of asthma among U.S. adults in the period 2011-2014, by weight and ethnicity
- GSK: revenue of Seretide/Advair globally by region 2012-2016GSK: revenue of Seretide/Advair globally by region 2012-2016
- Distribution of global respiratory therapy market by condition 2015-2016Distribution of global respiratory therapy market by condition 2015-2016
- Leading causes of death in the United States 2015Leading causes of death in the United States 2015
- Rates of the leading causes of death in the U.S. 2015Rates of the leading causes of death in the U.S. 2015
- Number of adult smokers in the United States 1965-2015Number of adult smokers in the United States 1965-2015