Obesity and Overweight - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about overweight and the obesity epidemic
Obesity and weight issues are well-known problems in modern societies worldwide. In the United States this problem is severe, with an extremely high prevalence of obesity and overweight people amongst both the adult and younger population. This issue is often related to the American lifestyle, in which fast food and large serving sizes are common.
Differences in the obesity rate in the U.S. can be seen between different ethnic groups, regions, genders, and ages. As of 2015, almost 73 percent of all African American adults were classed as being overweight or obese, making this ethnic group the one with the highest rate in America. That same year, West Virginia was reported to have the highest percentage of overweight or obese adults of any U.S. state, with an incredible 71.1 percent of the population falling into these two categories.
Overweight and obesity are increasing problems for youths in the U.S. From 2011 to 2014 it was estimated that around 20.5 percent of those aged 12 to 19 years were obese. During this time the obesity rate among Latino youths was the highest among all races and ethnicities. In 2015, the state with the highest percentage of obese high school students was Mississippi, followed closely by Tennessee and Kentucky.
Being overweight and obese can cause a number health problems and can increase the risk of a variety of diseases including diabetes and heart disease. The prevalence of diagnosed diabetes has increased steadily since the late 1990's. As of 2016, it was predicted that 9.3 percent of the population was diagnosed with diabetes. Becoming overweight or obese can be avoided through healthy eating and exercise, but such measures are largely lifestyle choices. In 2016, an estimated 26.2 percent of the U.S. population was physically inactive.
Photo: istockphoto.com / sjhuls
|Obesity prevalence in Germany as of 2013||23.6%||Details →|
|Obesity prevalence among men in Canada as of 2014||21.1%||Details →|
|Per capita daily intake of calories in the U.S. as of 2014||3,641kcal||Details →|
|Obesity prevalence among adults in the U.S. in 2015||30.4%||Details →|
|Obesity prevalence among men in the U.S. in 2014||29.2%||Details →|
|Obesity prevalence among women in the U.S. in 2014||29.8%||Details →|
|Overweight/Obesity and Younger People||Values||Statistic|
|Percentage of U.S. high school students who are overweight in 2014-2015||16%||Details →|
|Percentage of U.S. high school students who are obese in 2014-2015||13.9%||Details →|
|Percentage of U.S. adults diagnosed with diabetes in 2015||9.5%||Details →|
|Deaths from heart disease in the U.S. in 2014 (per 100,000 population)||167||Details →|
|Percentage of males who served in the military who were obese in 2013-2014||29%||Details →|
|Percentage of U.S. adults who were physically inactive as of 2016||26.2%||Details →|
- Adult overweight and obesity rates in the U.S. by ethnicity 2015+Adult overweight and obesity rates in the U.S. by ethnicity 2015
Overweight and obesity rates for adults in the United States in 2015, by ethnicity
- Possible future obesity cost scenarios in the U.S. 2020Possible future obesity cost scenarios in the U.S. 2020
Possible future obesity cost scenarios in the United States until 2020*
- Most urgent health problems as perceived by Americans 2015Most urgent health problems as perceived by Americans 2015
Distribution of most urgent health problems facing the U.S. perceived by Americans in 2015
- Indirect annual costs of obesity in the U.S. 2011+Indirect annual costs of obesity in the U.S. 2011
Estimated annual indirect costs due to obesity in the U.S. as of 2011 (in billion U.S. dollars)
- Obesity prevalence among U.S. adults aged 20 and over 1997-2016Obesity prevalence among U.S. adults aged 20 and over 1997-2016
- Adult overweight and obesity rates in the U.S. by ethnicity 2015Adult overweight and obesity rates in the U.S. by ethnicity 2015
- U.S. sedentary lifestyle among adults by ethnicity 2016U.S. sedentary lifestyle among adults by ethnicity 2016
- Percentage of obese U.S. adults by state 2016Percentage of obese U.S. adults by state 2016
- Percentage of physically inactive U.S. adults by state 2016Percentage of physically inactive U.S. adults by state 2016