The Global PC Market Is Collapsing
Worldwide PC shipments suffered the steepest decline ever in the first quarter of 2013.
According to IDC, the industry shipped a total of 76.3 million units between January and March, a 13.9 percent decline over last year’s first quarter.
The PC industry continues to suffer from the rise of smartphones and tablets, which are gradually replacing PCs as the primary computing device for many consumers.
Moreover, the release of Windows 8 failed to deliver the impetus to the industry many insiders had hoped for. The radically changed user interface, Microsoft forced on consumers with Windows 8, apparently scares potential buyers away instead of winning them over.
By the end of March, six months after its launch in October 2012, Windows 8 had reached no more than 3.2 percent market share. Its predecessor Windows 7 had already reached double-digit adoption six months after its launch in October 2009.
- Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010 Globa PC sales via PC stores, by vendor 2010
- Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016Forecast: tablet PC sales in the United States 2010-2016
- Globa PC sales via direct retail in 2010, by vendorGloba PC sales via direct retail in 2010, by vendor
- Global market share held by PC vendors in 2016Global market share held by PC vendors in 2016
- Number of PC unit shipments worldwide by vendor 2016Number of PC unit shipments worldwide by vendor 2016
- Vendors' quarterly market share of PC unit shipments worldwide 2011-2016Vendors' quarterly market share of PC unit shipments worldwide 2011-2016
- Global PC unit shipments 2006-2016Global PC unit shipments 2006-2016
- Global market share held by PC vendors 2006-2016Global market share held by PC vendors 2006-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl