These Apps Are Putting a Strain on Mobile Networks
In recent years, larger smartphone screens and faster mobile networks have led to a surge in video and other rich content consumption on mobile devices. Mobile data traffic subsequently surged and, according to estimates by Cisco , will continue to do so for years.
Interestingly, it is just a handful of apps that account for the lion’s share of mobile data consumption. According to a recent report by broadband equipment company Sandvine, YouTube and Facebook alone account for 36 percent of North America’s mobile traffic during peak hours. In total, the seven most data-hungry applications combined with plain old web browsing (HTTP) account for two thirds of mobile data traffic while the millions of other apps account for the remaining third.
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month August 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month August 2016
- Global number of internet users 2005-2016Global number of internet users 2005-2016
- M2M (machine-to-machine) total industry size 2013-2022M2M (machine-to-machine) total industry size 2013-2022
- Telecommunications: Mobile data retail revenue in the UK 2007-2015Telecommunications: Mobile data retail revenue in the UK 2007-2015
- Global consumer IP traffic by connection 2015-2020Global consumer IP traffic by connection 2015-2020
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl