Global Smartphone Traffic to Increase Tenfold by 2019
Global smartphone data traffic is expected to continue its meteoric rise over the next few years. According to Cisco’s Visual Networking Index, smartphone traffic is set to grow from 1.74 exabyte per month in 2014 to more than 18 exabyte per months in 2019. Cisco further estimates that smartphones will account for 75% of mobile traffic in 2019, up from 69% in the past year.
The increase in smartphone data consumption will be fuelled by two factors that work in the same direction: the ever-growing number of smartphones in use and the increase of individual data consumption. As mobile networks grow faster, users are expected to adapt their usage and consume more data-intensive content, such as high-definition video, on their phones. The average smartphone will expectedly generate 4 GB of traffic per months in 2019, a fivefold increase over last year’s global average.
- Global mobile traffic forecast per year 2010-2020Global mobile traffic forecast per year 2010-2020
- Americas: mobile traffic forecast per year 2010-2020Americas: mobile traffic forecast per year 2010-2020
- Europe: mobile traffic per year 2010-2020Europe: mobile traffic per year 2010-2020
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2016PayPal: annual mobile payment volume 2008-2016
- Investment deal count in digital health industry globally 2010-2016Investment deal count in digital health industry globally 2010-2016
- Investor funding in digital health industry 2010-2016Investor funding in digital health industry 2010-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl