New device activations during the holiday season
Phablet Popularity Continues to Grow
These days, as smartphones and tablets are more affordable and ubiquitous than ever, connected devices make for very popular Christmas gifts. To find out which types of devices were most in demand during the holiday season, app analytics firm Flurry Analytics has been analyzing new device activation during the holiday period for the past few years.
According to this year's data, Apple was the big winner this holiday season. iPhones and iPads accounted for 44 percent of all new device activations between December 19 and 25, with Samsung coming in second at 21 percent of activations.
Once again, large-screen smartphones, so-called phablets, proved particularly popular under the Christmas tree. They accounted for 37 percent of new device activations this holiday season, up from 27 percent last year and just 13 percent in 2014. Once derided as clunky niche devices, larger phones such as the Galaxy Note or the iPhone 7 Plus have quickly become the first choice for millions of smartphone users around the world.
- Phablet devices in 2013, by screen sizePhablet devices in 2013, by screen size
- Forecast of worldwide phablet shipments 2018Forecast of worldwide phablet shipments 2018
- Cannibalization: change in use of tablet after buying a phablet 2013 Cannibalization: change in use of tablet after buying a phablet 2013
- Leading Android gaming app reach worldwide 2016Leading Android gaming app reach worldwide 2016
- Leading Android gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016Leading Android gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016
- Leading iOS gaming app reach worldwide 2016Leading iOS gaming app reach worldwide 2016
- Leading iOS gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016Leading iOS gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016
- Leading Android gaming app reach in the UK 2016 Leading Android gaming app reach in the UK 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl