Phablet Popularity Soars This Holiday Season
For the past few years now, smartphones and tablets have been among the most popular Christmas gifts around the world. Flurry Analytics examined data across more than 780,000 apps to determine which devices were particularly popular this holiday season. Since Christmas day typically sees the highest number of new device activations each year, it seems like a good metric to make out trends in consumer preferences.
According to Flurry's data, Apple is the big winner this holiday season. Apple devices accounted for 49% of all new device activations between December 19 and 25 as consumers continue to show a growing appetite for phablet devices such as the iPhone 6s Plus.
Phablets accounted for 27% of new device activations this holiday season, up from 13% in 2014 and just 4% during the same period in 2013. Considering these numbers, it becomes more and more clear that smartphones with 5+ inch screens, once derided as clunky niche devices, are here to stay and may soon become the de-facto standard in the smartphone industry.
- Phablet devices in 2013, by screen sizePhablet devices in 2013, by screen size
- Forecast of worldwide phablet shipments 2018Forecast of worldwide phablet shipments 2018
- Cannibalization: change in use of tablet after buying a phablet 2013 Cannibalization: change in use of tablet after buying a phablet 2013
- Leading Android gaming app reach worldwide 2016Leading Android gaming app reach worldwide 2016
- Leading Android gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016Leading Android gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016
- Leading iOS gaming app reach worldwide 2016Leading iOS gaming app reach worldwide 2016
- Leading iOS gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016Leading iOS gaming app reach in the U.S. 2016
- Leading iOS app reach in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016Leading iOS app reach in the United Kingdom (UK) 2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl