Phablets See Jump in Popularity This Holiday Season
For the past few years now, smartphones and tablets have been among the most popular Christmas gifts around the world. Flurry Analytics examined data across more than 600,000 apps to determine which devices were particularly popular this holiday season. Since Christmas day typically sees the highest number of new device activations each year, it seems like a good metric to make out trends in consumer preferences.
According to Flurry's data, Apple is the big winner this holiday season. Not only was the iPhone 6 the single most popular device under the Christmas tree, but Apple devices accounted for 51% of all new device activations between December 19 and 25. The iPhone 6+, Apple's first venture into the phablet market, was also among the Top 5 devices and contributed to the jump in popularity that phablets saw this year.
Phablets accounted for 13 percent of new device activations this holiday season, up from 4 percent during the same period in 2013. The phablet’s surge in popularity seems to come at the expense of tablets, which saw their share of device activations crash from 17 percent in 2013 to just 11 percent in 2014. As smartphones are becoming larger and more powerful, tablet vendors are having more and more problems to convince consumers of the added value a tablet can provide.
- Smartphones and tablets in use in Italy 2014-2015 Smartphones and tablets in use in Italy 2014-2015
- Interest of members of affluent U.S. households in advertising on smartphones/tabletsInterest of members of affluent U.S. households in advertising on smartphones/tablets
- Brands of smartphones, cell phones, tablets and eReaders owned by affluent AmericansBrands of smartphones, cell phones, tablets and eReaders owned by affluent Americans
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month August 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month August 2016
- Toy companies revenue worldwide 2015Toy companies revenue worldwide 2015
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl