Phablets to Account for the Lion's Share of Future Smartphone Growth
On September 9, Apple is expected to release it's first large screen smartphone, and it's about time. According to data published by market research firm IDC last week, much of the future growth in the smartphone market will occur in the phablet segment.
IDC predicts overall shipments to reach 1,252m units this year, of which 175m will fit the phablet category (screen sizes 5.5" and higher). By 2018, the smartphone market is tipped to grow to 1,839m units per year, of which 593m are expected to be phablets. In other words: while the phablet segment is expected to grow at an average rate of 36% until 2018, the rest of the smartphone market will grow at a meager 4% per year.
- Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016Global smartphone sales value by region 2013-2016
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2016Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2016
- Global smartphone sales by OS 2009-2016Global smartphone sales by OS 2009-2016
- China: mobile phone subscriptions by month November 2016China: mobile phone subscriptions by month November 2016
- Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020Global smartphone shipments forecast 2010-2020
- U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017U.S. consumer electronics industry retail revenue 2012-2017
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016Smartphone sales revenue worldwide 2013-2016
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl