Phablets Account for One Third of Global Smartphone Shipments
According to analyst firm Canalys, the trend towards large-screen smartphones is unbroken. Of the 280 million smartphones shipped worldwide in the first quarter of 2014, 34% were so-called phablets, i.e. phones with displays of 5 inches or larger. The phablet segment grew 369% year-over-year, significantly outperforming the rest of the smartphone market.
Even Apple appears to have change its mind on big-screen smartphones as the company is apparently readying a larger iPhone for a fall release. The iPhone maker had long argued that making a phablet would involve too many compromises in terms of usability and design, but ultimately had to submit to the consumers' wishes like any other company.
- Phablet devices in 2013, by screen sizePhablet devices in 2013, by screen size
- Sales volume of smartphones in Germany 2008-2016Sales volume of smartphones in Germany 2008-2016
- Installed base of smartphones in the U.S. 2015-2020Installed base of smartphones in the U.S. 2015-2020
- Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017Number of monthly active WhatsApp users as of 2013-2017
- Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016Global market share held by smartphone vendors 2012-2016
- Share of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendorShare of smartphone shipments worldwide 2015-2016, by vendor
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017Smartphone sales value in the United States 2005-2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl