Music streaming subscribers
Spotify Sets the Pace for Apple Music
When Apple launched Apple Music in June 2015, many people thought it would be a question of ‘when’ rather than ‘if’ Apple would catch up with and eventually surpass Spotify in terms of paid subscribers. Apple’s financial and marketing power combined with an installed base of hundreds of millions of iOS devices seemed like a tough combination to beat for the Swedish music streaming pioneers.
And yet, ever since Apple launched its own streaming service halfway through 2015, Spotify has managed to keep Apple Music at arm’s length. Going back and forth in announcing new subscriber milestones, the gap between Spotify and Apple Music has remained remarkably steady over the past 20 months. Last week, Spotify rather casually announced that it had just passed 50 million paid subscribers, extending its lead over Apple to 30 million paying customers. Now it’s Apple’s turn again to come out with another milestone. And it would be a big surprise if the company’s announcement of 30 million Apple Music subscribers wouldn’t come soon.
- Monthly reach of Apple music and Spotify in the Netherlands 2017, by age groupMonthly reach of Apple music and Spotify in the Netherlands 2017, by age group
- Number of Apple Music subscribers worldwide 2015-2016Number of Apple Music subscribers worldwide 2015-2016
- Share of Apple Music users in the U.S. 2017Share of Apple Music users in the U.S. 2017
- Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017Brands: leaders in consumer engagement and expectations in the U.S. 2017
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Ranking of media companies in the Nordic countries 2015, by revenueRanking of media companies in the Nordic countries 2015, by revenue
- Ranking of media companies in Sweden 2015, by revenueRanking of media companies in Sweden 2015, by revenue
- Global digital music revenue 2005-2015Global digital music revenue 2005-2015
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl