Spotify - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts on Spotify
Spotify is a digital cross-platform music streaming service offering users a variety of record label content from Sony, EMI, Warner Music Group and Universal. Music can be browsed or searched by artist, album, genre or playlist. Whereas the basic, ad-supported service is free, Spotify offers a tiered subscription model allowing paid users to not only listen to Spotify without advertising but also to access tracks on mobile devices and save music and playlists for offline use.
Spotify’s 2014 revenue amounted to 1.08 billion euros with a net loss of 162 million euros. This result is strongly influenced by the company’s cost of sales which is mostly comprised of licensing expenses towards record labels and artists.
Launched as an invitation-only service in 2008, Spotify was introduced to the U.S. market in July 2011. Users are able to register to Spotify using their Facebook account, enabling them to connect with other Facebook friends and share music and playlists. Facebook users can connect to Spotify directly through the website using an app. As of September 2015, Spotify’s Facebook app garnered roughly 39.7 million monthly users, with approximately 11.05 million users of them being daily active users. The mandatory Facebook signup requirement was removed after user concerns regarding privacy yet Spotify remains a popular Facebook app. The desktop client of Spotify also offers a wide range of apps and cross-posting to other social media services.
As of June 2015, Spotify has over 20 million paid subscribers worldwide. Spotify’s largest competitor is Pandora, a company that offers a similar service. Spotify’s popularity continued to grow, particularly in Europe, and is considered one of the most popular services globally with over 4.5 billion hours of music streamed collectively in 2013. During the first half of 2014, the most streamed track on Spotify worldwide was Katy Perry’s Dark Horse, which accounted for more than 142.67 million streams.
|Spotify's annual revenue||€1.95bn||Details →|
|Spotify's revenue from subscriptions||€1.74bn||Details →|
|Spotify's revenue per employee||€798,906||Details →|
|Number of Spotify employees||1,610||Details →|
|Number of paying Spotify subscribers worldwide||50 million||Details →|
|Monthly active users of Spotify's Facebook app||39.74m||Details →|
|Spotify's total annual streaming hours||4,500m||Details →|
|Spotify's total playlist created||1,000m||Details →|
|Most weekly streamed track on Spotify: Shape of You by Ed Sheeran||52.3m||Details →|
- Active users of Spotify's Facebook app 2011-2015+Active users of Spotify's Facebook app 2011-2015
Monthly and daily active users of Spotify's Facebook app as of September 2015 (in millions)
- Spotify revenue and net income 2009-2015Spotify revenue and net income 2009-2015
Spotify's revenue and net income/loss from 2009 to 2015 (in million euros)
- Spotify: segment revenue 2012-2015Spotify: segment revenue 2012-2015
Spotify's revenues from 2012 to 2015, by segment (in million euros)
- Monthly active users of the most popular Facebook apps 2015Monthly active users of the most popular Facebook apps 2015
Most popular Facebook apps in November 2015, by monthly active users (in millions)
- Spotify artist royalty payments 2012-2015Spotify artist royalty payments 2012-2015
Royalty and distribution costs of Spotify from 2012 to 2015 (in million euros)
- Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016Leading online social platforms based on reach in the Netherlands 2016
- Ranking of media companies in the Nordic countries 2015, by revenueRanking of media companies in the Nordic countries 2015, by revenue
- Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2016Survey on the share of online shoppers in Germany 2000-2016
- E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2012-2016E-commerce turnover in Sweden 2012-2016
- E-commerce turnover growth in Sweden 2013-2016E-commerce turnover growth in Sweden 2013-2016