Facebook And Tencent Are The Biggest Players in Social Media
Facebook has released new figures for the first quarter of 2017. Its monthly active users (MAU) have grown by around 17 percent year-over-year to 1.94 billion worldwide. This makes Facebook the top dog in social media, also because its closest competitors aren’t really challengers to the throne. WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger enjoy round about 1.2 billion users worldwide but belong to Facebook Inc.
However, there is a competitor that the average Joe in America and other Western countries might still not have heard of. As the Statista infographic shows, Facebook's closest real competitor when it comes to monthly active users is called Tencent. It's one of China's biggest publicly traded companies and its subsidiaries QQ, WeChat and Qzone count around 2.4 billion monthly active users.
Tencent's user count is all the more impressive as, unlike Facebook, it caters to domestic Chinese users only. However, there is a darker side to Tencent's success story: Like other Chinese tech and internet companies it owes part of its success to Chinese protectionism and censorship. Facebook, Twitter or Snapchat, alongside Google, are just a few of the providers blocked in the People's Republic.
Check out Statista's "Digital Economy Compass" for more of the kind.
- Facebook: number of monthly active users in North America 2010-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users in North America 2010-2017
- Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017Facebook: number of monthly active users worldwide 2008-2017
- Facebook Messenger: number of monthly active users 2014-2017Facebook Messenger: number of monthly active users 2014-2017
- Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. April 2017Monthly Consumer Price Index of all urban consumers in the U.S. April 2017
- Monthly percentage of change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) in the U.S. 2016/17Monthly percentage of change in the Consumer Price Index (CPI-U) in the U.S. 2016/17
- United States - monthly inflation rate in April 2017United States - monthly inflation rate in April 2017
- U.S. Producer Price Index (PPI) for commodities: April 2017U.S. Producer Price Index (PPI) for commodities: April 2017
- Weekend box office revenue - May 2017Weekend box office revenue - May 2017
- Who may use the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day", made available under the Creative Commons License CC BY-ND 3.0, may be used and displayed without charge by all commercial and non-commercial websites. Use is, however, only permitted with proper attribution to Statista. When publishing one of these graphics, please include a backlink to the respective infographic URL.
- Which topics are covered by the "Chart of the Day"?
- The Statista "Chart of the Day" currently focuses on two sectors: "Media and Technology", updated daily and featuring the latest statistics from the media, internet, telecommunications and consumer electronics industries; and "Economy and Society", which current data from the United States and around the world relating to economic and political issues as well as sports and entertainment.
- Can Statista create customized charts?
Absolutely! For information on tailor-made and sector-specific
Charts of the Day, please contact Robin Hüdepohl