Pizza chains in the U.S. with the highest number of units 2019

Pizza Hut was the pizza chain with the most units in the United States in 2019. The company had 7,306 restaurants across the country, which was 1,180 more than Domino’s Pizza and 3,069 more than Little Caesars.

Independent stores hope to break the chains

The total number of pizza restaurants in the United States reached 77,724 in 2019, the highest number in recent years – chain restaurants, such as Pizza Hut, accounted for around 47 percent of that figure with 36,151 units. Independent pizzerias, which made up the other 53 percent of pizza restaurants in the United States, suffered a small setback between 2018 and 2019, with the number of units dropping to 41,573.

Which chain sells the most pizzas in the U.S.?

Annual pizza restaurant sales in the United States exceeded 40 billion U.S. dollars for the fourth consecutive year in 2019, reaching a record of 46.34 billion U.S. dollars. Chain restaurants continue to increase their share of total pizza sales, generating around 27.8 billion U.S. dollars in 2019. In terms of sales, Domino’s Pizza is the leading pizza chain in the United States – the company generated around seven billion U.S. dollars in 2019.

Leading pizza chains in the United States in 2019, by number of units

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

$39 $59 per month *
in the first 12 months
33% Discount until September 30th
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$468 / Year
$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in

Release date

April 2020


United States

Survey time period


Supplementary notes

*Technomic estimates

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account.

Single Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references
$59 $39 / Month *
in the first 12 months
Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract; Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "Pizza delivery industry in the U.S."

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.