What are industrial diamonds?
Industrial diamonds are diamonds that are valued for their extreme level of hardness, but which have either many flaws or irregular shapes and therefore are not aesthetically valuable. For this reason, they are used for industrial purposes. They usually have many flaws and have an irregular shape. Overall, industrial diamonds have a low value as gems, but they are important in the mining and metalworking industries. They are used for cutting materials as well as polishing other materials including diamonds. They are also sometimes used for drill bits, saws, and as an abrasive.
Comparative diamond production volumes
The production volume of industrial synthetic/lab grown diamonds worldwide has stayed about the same since 2007. In 2015, the global production of industrial diamonds was about 4.38 billion carats. The production of natural diamonds is expected to remain the same from 2015 to 2025, at around 100 million carats. For synthetic industrial diamond production, a forecasted five billion carats is expected in 2025. The largest diamond producing country in 2018 was Russia, and secondly Australia. In that year Australia produced about 17 million carats of diamonds. The total global production of rough diamonds amounted to 147 million carats in 2019.
We are the global leading platform for business data from 600 industries and 50 countries.
$49 / Month *
Prices do not include sales tax.
in one Presentation
Everything On "Diamond industry" in One Document: Edited and Divided into Handy Chapters. Including Detailed References.
Statista has been my savior on several occasions. The site is easy to maneuver and the data is in a format that can go right into a report or presentation.
Vice President, Hearst Magazines
- Countries with the largest diamond reserves as of 2018 (in million carats)Countries with the largest diamond reserves 2018
- Global production of rough diamonds from 2005 to 2018 (in million carats)Global production of rough diamonds 2005-2018
- Global rough diamond production forecast between 2005 and 2030 (in million carats)Diamond global production forecast 2005-2030
- Major countries in worldwide industrial diamond mine production from 2013 to 2018 (in million carats)*Industrial diamond mine production by major countries 2013-2018
- Leading 25 diamond mines worldwide by production value in 2017 (in million U.S. dollars)*Leading diamond mines worldwide by production value 2017
- Production of leading diamond mines worldwide in 2017 (in 1,000 carats)Diamond production worldwide by leading mines in 2017
- Forecast mined diamond supply worldwide from 2014 to 2050, by scenario (in million carats)Forecast mined diamond supply worldwide by scenario 2014-2050
- Total diamond mine production in Africa from 2005 to 2021 (in 1,000 carats)African diamond mine production 2005-2021
- Diamond mine production of the leading companies worldwide from 2013 to 2018 (in million carats)Diamond production of leading companies worldwide 2013-2018
- World diamond production share of major companies in 2018Global diamond production share of major companies 2018
- Market share of the leading diamond mining companies worldwide in 2017Market share of the leading diamond producers worldwide 2017
- Compound annual growth rate of the top diamond producing companies worldwide between 2010 and 2015CAGR of the top diamond producing companies globally 2010-2015
- Operating margins of leading diamond mining companies from 2010 to 1st half 2017Operating margins of top diamond mining companies 2010-2017
- ALROSA's revenue from 2016 to 2018 (in million U.S. dollars)* ALROSA's revenue 2016-2018
- Revenue of De Beers from 2011 to 2018 (in million U.S. dollars)De Beers' revenue 2011-2018
- Rio Tinto's copper and diamonds segment revenue from 2014 to 2018 (in million U.S. dollars)Rio Tinto's copper and diamonds segment revenue 2014-2018
- Average operating profit margins at different stages of the diamond processing chain in 2017Average operating profit margins in the diamond processing chain 2017
- Value of rough diamond production worldwide from 2014 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)Rough diamond production value worldwide from 2014 to 2017
- Value of polished diamonds worldwide from 2009 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)*Polished diamond value worldwide 2009-2017
- Diamond jewelry market value worldwide from 2009 to 2017 (in billion U.S. dollars)*Global diamond jewelry market value 2009-2017
- Diamond jewelry market value worldwide in 2015 and 2016, by country (in billion U.S. dollars)Global diamond jewelry market value by region in 2015 and 2016
- Forecasted compound annual growth rate of diamond jewelry demand worldwide between 2016 and 2030, by countryDiamond jewelry demand CAGR forecast by country 2016-2030
- Diamond prices per carat from 1960 to 2016 (in U.S. dollars)Per carat diamond price 1960-2016
- Diamond price per carat in the United States as of December 2016, by size and quality (in U.S. dollars)*U.S. diamond price per carat by size and quality 2016
- Share of brides who received a diamond engagement ring in the United States from 1939 to 1990Share of brides in the U.S. with a diamond engagement ring 1939-1990
- Synthetic industrial diamond production worldwide from 2007 to 2016 (in million carats)*Synthetic diamond production worldwide 2007-2016
- Synthetic diamond production in the United States from 2007 to 2016 (in 1,000 carats)U.S. synthetic diamond production 2007-2016
- Value of synthetic diamond production in the United States from 2007 to 2016 (in 1,000 U.S. dollars)U.S. synthetic diamond production value 2007-2016
- Price difference of lab-created diamonds from natural diamonds from Q1 2016 to Q3 2017 (in percent)Natural and synthetic diamonds price difference Q1 2016-Q3 2017
- Forecast rough diamond demand worldwide from 2014 to 2050 (in million carats)Forecast rough diamond demand worldwide 2014-2050
- Forecast for rough diamond demand-supply gap worldwide from 2014 to 2050 (in million carats)Rough diamond demand-supply gap worldwide 2014-2050
- Demand value of polished diamonds worldwide in 2017, by country (in million U.S. dollars)Global demand value of polished diamonds by country 2017
- Distribution of polished diamond demand worldwide from 2013 to 2017, by region*Share of global polished diamond demand by region 2013-2017