Gold - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about gold
Gold has always been one of the world’s most precious and coveted metals. Rarity is the primary reason for its value. Estimates on global reserves are not much higher than 56,000 metric tons. The countries with the largest estimated reserves are Australia, Russia, and South Africa. Approximately 3,000 metric tons of gold was produced worldwide in 2015. Currently, China is the world’s leading producer of gold, followed by Australia and Russia.
Among gold mining companies, Barrick Gold from Canada is the global leader, with a production output of 6.12 million ounces in 2015. Barrick Gold announced revenue figures of 9.03 billion U.S. dollars for 2015. In the same year, the company had an average realized gold price per ounce of 1,157 U.S. dollars. Newmont Mining from the U.S., and AngloGold Ashanti from South Africa are the next largest gold producers. M&A activities in the gold mining sector are very vibrant. Taking all mining and metal deals into account for 2015, gold was the most targeted commodity, both by value and number.
As fourth largest global gold producing country, the United States produced some 200 metric tons in 2015. Nevada is by far the U.S. state with the highest gold production. Six out of the top ten U.S. gold mines are located in Nevada. Interestingly, the United States recycled some 140 metric tons of new and old scrap, while reported gold consumption came to some 150 metric tons in 2015. The United States has the largest official gold holding of any country worldwide. As of February 2016, approximately 8,133 metric tons of gold is held by the United States.
Over the last decade, global demand for gold has increased constantly, marking a new record high of over 4,700 metric tons in 2011. This has of course influenced the global price of gold. Gold reached an annual average price of almost 1,670 U.S. dollars in 2012. To put that figure into context, the price stood at some 271 U.S. dollars in 2001. This makes it clear that gold is still one of the world’s most coveted commodities and most rewarding investments.
Photo: istockphoto.com / brostock
|Global mine production of gold||3,000t||Details →|
|Global gold demand||4,212t||Details →|
|Annual average gold price||$1,160.06/oz t||Details →|
|Top Global Companies||Values||Statistic|
|Barrick Gold's revenue||9,029m||Details →|
|Barrick Gold's production of gold||6,117k oz||Details →|
|Newmont Mining's revenue||$7,729m||Details →|
|AngloGold Ashanti's revenue||$4,174m||Details →|
|U.S. mine production of gold||200t||Details →|
|U.S. gold production value||$10,400m||Details →|
|U.S. gold exports||500t||Details →|
|Reported U.S. gold consumption||150t||Details →|
- World mine reserves of gold by country 2015+World mine reserves of gold by country 2015
World mine reserves of gold as of 2015, by country (in metric tons)*
- Gold production sorted by major countries 2010-2015+Gold production sorted by major countries 2010-2015
Major countries in mine production of gold worldwide from 2010 to 2015 (in metric tons)
- Gold reserves by country 2016Gold reserves by country 2016
Gold reserves by country as of August 2016 (in metric tons)
- The complete topic in one convenient package
- Instant access and download
- Great time-saver
- China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region August 2016China: monthly Consumer Price Index (CPI) by region August 2016
- Italian Olympic team: all-time medal tally of Olympic Games 1896-2016Italian Olympic team: all-time medal tally of Olympic Games 1896-2016
- Italian Olympic team: daily medal tally of Olympic Summer Games 2016Italian Olympic team: daily medal tally of Olympic Summer Games 2016
- Italian Olympic team: medal tally of Olympic Summer Games 2016, by sportItalian Olympic team: medal tally of Olympic Summer Games 2016, by sport
- Rio 2016: daily viewership figuresRio 2016: daily viewership figures