Reasons to leave a religion in the Netherlands 2017

This statistic displays the reasons to leave a religion in the Netherlands in 2017. When respondents in the Netherlands who were raised within a religion were asked why they left it, roughly 70 percent of the participants stated that they had gradually drifted away from religion. No longer believing in the religion's teachings was cited by 60 percent of the respondents. In contrast, only 14 percent said to have left their religion to marry someone from outside their own religion.

Reasons to leave a religion in the Netherlands in 2017

Exclusive Premium statistic

You need a Single Account for unlimited access.

  • Full access to 1m statistics

  • Incl. source references

  • Available to download in PNG, PDF, XLS format

Single Account

$39 $59 per month *
in the first 12 months
33% Discount until June 30th
*Duration: 12 months, billed annually, single license

Access to this and all other statistics on 80,000 topics from

$468 / Year
$708 / Year

Show detailed source information?
Register for free
Already a member?
Log in
Sources

Release date

May 2018

Region

Netherlands

Survey time period

April 2017 to August 2017

Number of respondents

1,497*

Age group

18 years and older

Special properties

respondents who were raised in a religion but now identify as unaffiliated

Method of interview

Telephone interview

Supplementary notes

The source does not provide information on the original wording used during the survey. Thus, the wording chosen for this statistic may differ slightly from the one in the survey.

* Total number of Dutch respondents taking the survey. Of these participants, 48 percent said consider themselves as religiously unaffiliated. Only 22 percent of the currently religiously unaffiliated participants in Belgium had also been raised religiously unaffiliated. The other 78 percent is the subject of this statistic.

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Basic Account
Get to know the platform

You only have access to basic statistics.
This statistic is not included in your account.

Single Account
Your perfect start with Statista
  • Instant access to 1m statistics
  • Download in XLS, PDF & PNG format
  • Detailed references
$59 $39 / Month *
in the first 12 months
Corporate Account
Full access

Corporate solution including all features.

* All products require an annual contract; Prices do not include sales tax.

Statistics on "Religion in the Netherlands"

Statista Accounts: Access All Statistics. Starting from $468 / Year
Learn more about how Statista can support your business.