Automotive Industry in China: Manufacturing - Statistics & Facts
Statistics and facts about the Automobile Manufacturing Industry in China
China remains the world’s largest automotive manufacturing country and automotive market since 2009. In 2016, annual vehicle production in China accounted for nearly 30 percent of worldwide vehicle production, which exceeds that of the European Union or that of the United States and Japan combined.
In the first decades of the PRC, China’s automobile production set off with an emphasis on commercial vehicles for industry and military purposes. The automobile industry in China did not gain momentum until the beginning of the 1990s. The rapid growth of the domestic market has also further accelerated the automobile industry in China. The number of newly registered passenger vehicles amounted to about 21.2 million units in 2015, which was more than five times of that in 2005.
China’s automobile market has attracted many well-established foreign brands to invest in their automobile production in China. However, most foreign brands are only allowed to produce their vehicles in China by establishing joint ventures with domestic automobile manufacturers. Due to technical development and lower production costs, several indigenous brands of China’s leading automobile manufacturers have also gained more and more popularity in the automobile market.
Facing fierce competition within their domestic market, Chinese car manufacturers are also looking for new markets overseas. While most vehicles manufactured in China are sold within China, manufactured vehicles for exports only contributed approximately 2.5 percent to the overall automobile production volume in China in 2016.
In order to promote NEV (new energy vehicle) sales, China has introduced various measures, such as tax exemptions, subsidies for car purchases and a requirement for government departments to buy more new energy cars, as a way to save energy and reduce air pollution. NEV manufacturers also received financial support from the government to reduce their R&D and production costs. China’s production of NEVs grew from about 17,500 units in 2013 to 517,000 units in 2016. The growth and emphasis on NEVs in China is not only a measure to reduce urban air pollution, but can also be seen as a way for Chinese automobile manufacturers to become globally competitive against traditional automobile manufacturers which specialize in internal combustion engines.
Photo: istockphoto.com / hronos7, henrik5000
|Global production overview||Values||Statistic|
|Number of manufacturing plants of the global automotive industry||546||Details →|
|Number of passenger cars manufactured worldwide||72.11m||Details →|
|Number of commercial vehicles manufactured worldwide||22.53m||Details →|
|Leading motor vehicle manufacturer worldwide||Volkswagen||Details →|
|Manufacturers in China||Values||Statistic|
|Number of vehicles produced in China||Shanghai Automotive Industry Co.||Details →|
|Leading passenger car manufacturer in China||Shanghai Volkswagen Automotive Co.||Details →|
|Leading commercial vehicle manufacturer in China||Beiqi Foton Motor Co.||Details →|
|Best-selling SUV model in China||Great Wall Haval H6||Details →|
|Best-selling MPV model in China||Shanghai GM-Wuling Hongguang||Details →|
|Best-selling sedan model in China||Volkswagen Lavida||Details →|
- China's share of the global car market by 2025+China's share of the global car market by 2025
China's share of the global car market in 2010 and 2011 with a forecast up to 2025
- China's share in global vehicle production 2008-2016+China's share in global vehicle production 2008-2016
China's share in global vehicle production from 2008 to 2016
- Car production of Chinese OEMs up to 2017+Car production of Chinese OEMs up to 2017
Car production of Chinese OEMs from 2010 to 2017 (in million units)
- Car prodution by OEM Alliance Groups in China by 2017+Car prodution by OEM Alliance Groups in China by 2017
Car production by OEM Alliance Groups in China in 2010 and a forecast up to 2017 (in millions)
- Car production in China 2008-2017+Car production in China 2008-2017
Production of cars in China from 2008 to 2017* (in 1,000 units)
- Global 2017 ranking of oil and gas companies based on net incomeGlobal 2017 ranking of oil and gas companies based on net income
- Leading oil and gas companies based on market cap 2017Leading oil and gas companies based on market cap 2017
- YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017YTD market share of selected car manufacturers in Europe 2017
- China: weekly box office revenue - May 8 to May 14, 2017China: weekly box office revenue - May 8 to May 14, 2017
- 2017 global list of top mining companies based on revenue2017 global list of top mining companies based on revenue